Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Can't Get Counters when Setting Up ALM PC Windows Monitor

Hello HP Forum!

This is my first post.

I'm running ALM PC 11.51 on Windows servers.  The load generators are running PC Host on Windows VMs.  I have this issue on some of the generators, but not all of them. 

I'm having an issue when I try to configure a monitor so I can see resource utilization on my load generators during test execution, and in my HTML report.

In ALM I select Testing, Test Resources, and then select a resource.  I click the Monitors Configuration tab, click the Add Monitor button, and then select Windows Resources.  I enter the load generator IP address, user name, and password, and then click the Get Counters button.  Here's the error I get:

Failed to retrieve measurements.  Please check the machine name, credentials and other supplied details and try again.  If the problem persists, contact your administrator.

As I mentioned earlier, I get this error on some of the generators, but not all of them.  They are all supposed to have the same configuration.

Please let me know if you have seen this issue or if you have any suggestions to fix it.

Thanks!

Tom

0 Likes
9 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Hi GM_Tom,

Welcome to our discussion forums 🙂

Say your are trying to add machine ABC into Site Scope monitor for monitoring Windows Resources.

Provide User XYZ admin access and RDP permissions on ABC.

Change the SiteScope Service Logon details on SiteScope Server PQR to use XYZ admin credentials and restart the service.

Now try to add the server in the site scope to monitor windows resources, it should get added.

The service account with with site scope service is running should have ADMIN and RDP access ON the server which you are going to monitor for windows resources.

Let me know if this answer is helpful to you 🙂

Also Please Note that ALM PC questions should be posted on Performance Center forums:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/LoadRunner-Performance-Center/ct-p/sws-LoadRunner

Regards,

Srihari

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hi Srihari!

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'm not using Site Scope on any of the generators.  For some of the generators, I'm able to Get Counters, others I get the error.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner

Hi Tom_GM,

Is the service called "Server" running on those machines( Load Generators ) ?

If it was not present in the sevices , you can install it using the below procedure.

1. Click Start, Run. Type ncpa.cpl and press {ENTER}

2. Right-click on the LAN connection, and choose Properties

3. Click Install

4. Select Service, and click Add

5. Select File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks

6. Click OK.

Let me know if the above solution helped you.

Regards,

Srihari

0 Likes
Highlighted
Cadet 3rd Class
Cadet 3rd Class

Hi Hari,

This is Mallik I am tom's colleague, Just now I checked and that service "server" is already running on those load generator.

Description of the service states as follows>>>>>"Supports file, print, and named-pipe sharing over the network for this computer. If this service is stopped, these functions will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start."

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner

Hi Mallik,  

I tried the below while trouble shooting similar issue, please give a try on your side; these steps will be useful in narrowing down the issue.  

1) Are there any event viewer application/system/security logs that got generated on the affected LG's when you are adding their IP or DNS names in  the monitor configuration for windows resources in HP ALM PC?

2) Execute "diskperf –y"  on all the issue causing LG’s and restart them.  

3) Execute "lodctr /r" on all the issue causing  LG’s and restart them.

4) Check http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM304905 and all the other KB's referred in the KB.

5) Export the registry files from the working machine to the problematic ones and try to configure the monitor.

6) Make sure IUSR_METRO has full admin rights on controller as well as target LG's.

Login with IUSR_METRO into controller and the LG, Go to start ->cmd of the controller machine and provide //IP ADDRESS OF LG machine/c$ ; are you able to open the local drive of destination machine?    Login with XYZ_ADMIN into controller and the LG, Go to start ->cmd of the controller machine and provide //IP ADDRESS OF LG machine/c$ ; are you able to open the local drive of destination machine?

7) Go to Administrative Tools -> Local security policy -> Make sure you have been provided with full ***ADMIN*** and ***RDP*** access to all policies under Local Policies

😎 Try adding the same LG in the Windows Resource section of load test directly on load runner and see whether it is getting added successfully.

9) Make Sure perfmon utility is fetching the windows resources monitors on the defective LG's

10) Try retrieving perfmon values of defective LG from the perfmon of controller/ LR after logging into the both using IUSR_METRO.

11) Is the issue happening on any particular OS/ bit level ex : windows 2008 R2 64 bit.

12) Firewall should be turned off

13) Windows Firewall service should be in disabled state.

14) Make sure “ TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service" 、"Server service"、"Workstation service” is in started status .

16) Add your admin user/IUSR_METRO to the Performance Monitor Users and Performance Log Users groups of both controller and LG's .

17) Make sure in Folder options -> View -> Use Sharing Wizard option is selected.

Regards,

Srihari

Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hello Srihari:

Thanks for the detailed reply!

I'll be working with Mallik to work through your list of suggestions. 

As I mentioned in my first post, we are running ALM Performance Center.  I'm not sure controllers are being referenced when I'm trying to add a monitor to an ALM project.  If there are other considerations based on using ALM, please let us know.

Tom

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Tom,

I am facing a similar issue. Did the issue get fixed? What was the resolution?

thanks,

Sripriya

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

Is anyone aware the resolution for this issue?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Cadet 3rd Class
Cadet 3rd Class

Hello, for monitoring the Windows resources on the target server you must start the Remote Registry service.
Tip, to be sure that the issue is not on the ALM side, start the perfmon program from any server with the same account you use in monitor (run as different user), and try to monitor the target server using Add Counter and \\server_name. If it works it means the issue is on ALM side.

I hope this could help you.

Thierry

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.