Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Copy Defects from one Project to the other

Jump to solution
Hi Folks,
Premier is coming whenever for us. Until this will happen I have the following challenge.

A Defect should be able to be copied from one to another project. Please don't ask why, its a very special workflow we want to realize and this is a need that up from some point a copy of a defect could be made into an other project. Does anybody have already a routine or so what is able to change data in a different project or better which could create entities (defects)?

Thanks for any help
Holger
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
You can create a connection to the target project with OTA eg:
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1239687
Try and avoid synchronising if you can as there are always issues:
- passwords (encryption)
- udfs to create (target defect id)
- non-workflow access (excel add-in)
- events to synchro (deletions)
- field mapping (required fields with no source)
- confusion in use (which is the source)

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..
Holger,

If you keep two browser instances of Quality Center: 1. Where you are copying from and 2. Where you are copying to... You would be able to simply Right Click > Copy from Browser #1 and Right Click > Paste to Browser #2 where you want it.

Note you can also select Ctrl+ Mouse Click or Shift+ Mouse Click to copy multiple defects from and paste to.

I hope this helps.
John Scarpino
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Hi John,
yes you are right.
We want to do this using the workflow script.
If a defect gets to a specific status it should be mirrored into a other project.
Here Copy/Paste with two browsers would not be helpfull.
Holger
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
You can create a connection to the target project with OTA eg:
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1239687
Try and avoid synchronising if you can as there are always issues:
- passwords (encryption)
- udfs to create (target defect id)
- non-workflow access (excel add-in)
- events to synchro (deletions)
- field mapping (required fields with no source)
- confusion in use (which is the source)

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
As suggested, easy to do, but you will have to make sure all users are in both projects (if you want to use the current connection object) or else you will have to create a new connection and login with a hard coded username and password (something your security guys might have a problem with).
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Hi guys,
thanks a lot. I will give it a try.
Synchronization is not an issue, thanks goodness. As soon as the Defect is closed it should be mirrored and reopened to start a new tracking process for release creation and release bundeling.

Holger
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Can someone please post the workflow code that was used? i am in a similar situation where i need to copy the defect to a different project in HPQC to start tracking it again for next wave implementations..

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi. when I try to do this, I get a popup that states 'Failed to Paste Data'. Has anyone had this problem before?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re:- 'Failed to Paste Data'

I tried this using "Project A"  and "Project A Sandpit" and the copy worked perfectly.

"Project B" has different user fields from "Project A", so when I tried to copy a defect from "Project A" to "Project B" I got the 'Failed to Paste Data' message.

As this was a one-off requirement, I just raised the defect manually.  However we have discussed the following as a possible way to copy a larger number of defects:-

1.) export the defects from "Project A" to Excel

2.) in Excel, remap the user fields from "Project A" fields to "Project B" fields

3.) use the Excel Add-In to import to "Project B"

This has only been discussed, but not yet tested, so it is offered "as is", with no guarantees or promises 🙂

0 Likes
Highlighted
Contributor.
Contributor.

Hi,

In our company, we have ~40 projects and ~600 users. We have about 200 000 bugs and about 500000 test Plan altogether now, on the other hand the projects are closely integrated (banking systems). 

Most of project are related together so we want to share some defect.

If we have multiple projects, how we can share some defects with multiple projects. We want to share some defect from one project to the others;

For example: 

First: in project P1, one user define defect D1 and assign to user U1.

Then we want to: user U1 in P1, assign defect D1 to project P2 to user U2.

Is it possible? What is the solution? Thanks for any help

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.