Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.. Frequent Contributor..
Frequent Contributor..

Copy/paste fails for some ascii characters

Hi

I am trying to copy/paste a description into a defect in ALM 15.00. The paste goes in but then when I try to revisit or refresh the defect I get an 'Invalid Server response' error. I have discovered the text contains some ascii characters that ALM obviously doesn't like (ascii 129 and 64 in decimal).

My question is: Has anyone experienced something similar, and is there any solution to enable ALM to tolerate these characters?

cheers

Peter

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor

Re: Copy/paste fails for some ascii characters

I was not able to reproduce the issue.  It might have to do with your database charset setting too. It will be helpful if you can try to capture and attach the http traffic by a tool like Fiddler.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Regular Contributor.
Regular Contributor.

the description field is an html field and should support it.. i have tried it in my organization qc (ver 15) with an ascii 129 char in the description field and i could open the defect but the ascii 129 char changed into a question mark.
i suggest you try to check the system log to see why you get this error
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.. Frequent Contributor..
Frequent Contributor..

Thanks for your replies.

I didn't find a solution but I found a workaround which is a bit of a pain but it will do:

If I paste the text into Notepad, then Save the notepad document it comes up with a message 'The file contains characters in Unicode format....'. I then continue with the Save with the ANSI encoding and the 'offending' characters are stripped out.

I can then close & reopen the Notepad document & copy & paste the text into ALM and it causes no further problems.

I have attached a document with some of the offending characters in case anyone is interested in following this through.

Cheers

Peter

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.