Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Create Dev box from Prod 12.01

I'm trying to setup a Development ALM system so I can try a few sketchy things as well as future upgrade testing.

initially I asked our infrastructure team to clone the ALM production Server and the SQL database so I could use the clone as Dev, but they won't clone servers as they have had problems in the past.

So, what would I need to do to setup a Dev box that is a duplicate of the Production system?

Will I need to make any changes to the copy of the Production database so it will work with a different ALM server?

During the install of ALM on a new server, if I point to a Copy of the production Database Server will it bring everythying in, projects, workflows, settings?

What about the file repository on the Production server, is there any way to copy that over to the Dev box? 

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Mike

0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
New Member.

Due to licensing, we are not supposed to clone the server as it is. 

1. If you want to setup a production -like server (except license), you can simply get a system as per the ALM system requirement. (1 Server for ALM and 1 Server DB or you 1 Server for ALM & DB)

2. Setup a new Database and copy entire Production data  (site admin schema and all project schema) and Project repository into the new server. 

3. Install ALM pointing to copied database site admin schema 

4. Restore the projects after changing dbid.xml refer to new database server and file repository path

5. You can use trial license for 30 days and if you want it for longer, you have to get license from HPE.

This way, you can have a dev environment with production data.

Thanks,
Shakul

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Thank you for the info.

should the projects and everything show up automatically after the install completes, or will we need to add them manually and point to the existing db?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Projects connection string and repository physical path must be changed,  that can be done by editing the dbid.xml of the project reposioty cloned and then remove and restore the project making sure is pointing to the righ database and repository.

Cordially

"HP Support
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution"
0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.

Yes. It will be automatially showed up because we pointed to the copied site admin schema, which has info about exisiting project details, during the installation.

However, you would have to update the dbid.xml for each projects (db connection property and repository path)..

0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Yes , that is the recommended way to do so and it is what R&D recommends.  The qcsiteadmin.projects table may work for runing an update  on the projects for db_user_pass, db_connection_string, dbservers and physical directory, but is not a supported task.

Cordially

"HP Support
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution"
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.