Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Defects not linked to Requirement report

We are trying to generate a list of defects out of ALM that are not linked to a requirement so we can go back and link the requirements to defects manually because the tester did not create the defect during their test run.

I have been trying to use the Analysis View and creating a standard defect report, but cannot seem to figure this out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and a huge timesaver!

Regards.

Victoria

0 Likes
10 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Defects are not technically linked to requirements directly because by default requirements are covered by test cases. Then instances of a Test Cases (not the actual test case) are run inside test lab (you can run same instance multiple times). When you run an instance of a test case, it creates a "run" record. So the tester links a defect (he/she found during execution of an instance of a test case) to the run ...

In order for you to find requirements with underlying defects you have to link requirements to test cases to test instances to runs to defects ... if you search for end to end traceability report via SQL there should already be posts around that. Good luck!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Read your post again ... you know what my post is not relevant because it is more suited towards finding requirements with/without defects when you wanted to find defects not linked to requirements. Two separate things. Sorry I dont have experience with that kind of report. Good luck!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

@vlrbon09

Show us what you've tried (provide screen images) and explain how it is not giving you what you want.

Also, what version of the product are you using?

With v11.52 I am able to create a Project report to list all defects. I can then Add a Report Section to that for Requirements. If I then print the report it shows all the defects, and for those that have linked requirements it includes the linked requirement information. I can look through that and manually pick out which ones don't have linked requirements.

[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

(Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Cadet 2nd Class Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class

The Link table in your database/schema stores all of the links for your defects/bugs.

If you run a SQL qry against the Bug table and the Link table, you can find the defects that have no links out tests or requirements.  Just make sure to filter out the bug to bug links to avoid false results.

~Have you Read The Felicitous Manual?
~Please hit the KUDOS button if my reply helped resolve your issue.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

I figured out the right query for this. This can be run as an Excel report in the Analysis View of the Dashboard. It will return a list of Bug IDs that do not have a link to a Requirement.

select 
  bg_bug_id
from 
  bug
except
select 
  ln_bug_id
from 
  link
WHERE 
  ln_ENTITY_type='REQ'

[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

(Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I am unable to find table called "Links" under Excel report for Query builder >> Entiries view ( user and SQl Entities).

So above query didnt work as resulted in SQL Error when run

Attached are the table names preceding "L"

0 Likes
Highlighted
Cadet 2nd Class

Thanks Trudy.  I wasn't at my workstation at the end of the day to craft a SQL.  My memory is good enough to remember what table does what when sitting in meetings on a tablet, but not good enough to remember the column names!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Cadet 2nd Class

if you are using the query builder, the actual table name is listed in parenthesis.  Over the years some features or modules have changed names, but the underlying tables have stayed the same.  Best example is Defects, which used to be called Bugs, and are still stored in the BUG table.

IIRC, LINK is probably called Associated or Association.  It will have (LINK) next to it however.  I am away from my workstation so I cannot validate this exactly, but it should put you in the ballpark.

When you put it in the query window it will show up as LINK, with columns as LINK.LN_BIG_ID.  Trudy's query should work.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

@QCOLD,

The table name, as I put in the query, is "LINK" not "LINKS".

And it does not appear in the Excel report table list, but you can still use it. You can use any table listed in the Database Reference within Excel report queries.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks Trydy for clarification.  You are absolutely correct.  I used "Joins" as Its throwing out SQL errors when i used "Except"

I used the below query to get Defects not linked to Requirement report

select distinct BUG.bg_bug_id from BUG, link where BUG.bg_bug_id = link.ln_bug_id and link.ln_ENTITY_type <> 'REQ'

If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.