Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Displaying message the object is locked by: <user>. in defect module

can the LOCK_TIMEOUT value be set to be in Minutes? E.g how do we set it for 5 minutes
0 Likes
9 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

http://tdforums.tdadmins.com/index.php?showtopic=5692&hl=

You should not change this setting. The lock is important.

You want to solve the issues that are causing you to have abandoned locks or process issues where your resources aren't playing nice together.

Eric Schumacher
TDForums.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Eric,

We have testers raising defects and by default it highlights the defects in the grid view and is creating a lock and the developers are unable to action.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

If you are getting locks when users simply moveto a defect in the grid and aren't actually editing a field then you have issues in your workflow that you need to correct. If users are editing the defects and this is locking them then reducing the lock timeout is not the right thing to do. You will cause issues if you reduce the timeout to 5 minutes.

Eric Schumacher
TDForums.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

The lock timeout is very important to multi-user working.
Think about it. When someone edit it more than 5 minutes and it is nerly every time some other users can also edit it and the first user will be very surprised what he done.

So leave it on time that is relevant I think 2 hours are minimum but leave the default is better.

The solution is as other said. Correct the workflow script.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

I understand Lock out time is important in multi user environment. 5 minutes was just an example. Does the LOCK_TIMEOUT parameter take values in minutes or does it only take a value in hours
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Why don't you explain the issue and tell us what's happening. There is no reason to change this setting. You mentioned above you are having an issue. Did you look to see if you are creating this issue in the workflow?

BTW: The admin manual states the value of this param.

Eric Schumacher
TDForums.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

ALM Version 12.53.

We are currently using 20+  machines with the same user name to upload result via automation script.

This process has been in place for 2 years+ with no issues. It was observe Early this year that results are taking an indefinite amount of time to upload. Investigating this matter have led us to the conclude that the delay is cause by "User Locks". 

It is showing the error the object is locked by: <user>

Please suggest

0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.

I think I see this user's issue in the Defect module.  We are experiencing it also. 

1) No one is disputing the value of the locks for Defects undergoing edits.

2) There is an issue though when a user just highlights a Defect (clicking the far left columns of the Defect).  This highlighting can even happen if one logs out and then logs back in ... ALM will return the user to that same Defect.  Highlighting a Defect will cause a lock-out unless someone else has already locked that Defect.  Users just viewing a Defect requires them to highlight it, and this locks the Defect from editing by anyone else. Perhaps the locking should happen only of the Defect editing commences.

This is not a workflow issue, nor a permission issue. There is no Workflow, and permissions are wide open... and this still happens.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.. Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Hi there,

The minimum time that the LOCK_TIMEOUT value can be set to is 1 hour. Our company has had it set to 1 for many years, without issue.

(Statements expressed here are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.)

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.