Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Excel Add -in requirement Hierarchy Problem

Hi,

Using Excel Add-in to import requirment to QC it has imported but it is not maintain the Hierarchy.

How can i solve this.

0 Likes
9 Replies
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Please provide more information including what version of ALM and Excel you are using, examples of the data you are trying to import, and how the end result doesn't match your expectations.
[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

(Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.)
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Trudy,

I am using Quality Center 11.00 AlM patch 15.

MS Excel 2010 Pro. version: 14.0.7116.5000 (32-bit)

File "Export-BRD-Template for HP" is the file which i want to import to QC.

Image File " Create But not Hierachilay" is the actual result .

Image File "Hierarchy Expected Rusult" is the expected result.

Please what the fault here.

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Looking at your Excel data at what you have specified in the Path column you appear to have a typo.

In the Path data you have specified
"...MSPRP\WCMSAP..."
But in the Title column for the requirement you want to use as the parent, you have
"...MSPRP/WCMSAP..."
Notice that you used different slash characters.
[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

(Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.)
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Trudy,

Ohh, yes... i have correct the "\" now it is correct. but still now the requirement not imported as a Hierarchy way.

Please advise.

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Your first requirement
"CR10520..."
has a Path specification of
"BRD for Oct-Excel"
but that path doesn't exist in your Requirements tree already. You need to manually add it to your tree, or add another row in Excel to create it as part of the import.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Trudi,

Sorry to bother you.

I have create another excel file to import the data from Excel to QC.

its seems that my path is not correct.

if you see the excel File "Requirement" - please advise what is incorrect in this "PATH" its only import to QC "REQ009" nothing else....

0 Likes
Absent Member..

As a general rule, if you don't specify a Path, then it will import to the root of the tree.

If the path you specify is not valid, it will import to the root of the tree.

A Path should not specify the name of the same requirement.

A path will be invalid if any part of it does not exist prior to the import of the individual requirement. Confirm that every level of the Path already exists. If there is a missing piece you can create it manually through the UI, or you can create it by specifying it as part of the data you import.

Apply these general rules to analyzing your Path values.

In the attached spreadsheet you list 4 requirements to import. REQ009 specifies a path value of
REQ007\REQ008\REQ009
The first problem is that the path refers to its own requirement - REQ009. That is a circular reference.
The next question would be does the path REQ007\REQ008 exist? You list both REQ007 and REQ008 as other requirements to import in your sheet, but neither has a Path value. Therefore they would each be imported to the root thus:
- Requirements
-- REQ007
-- REQ008
REQ008 will not be imported as a chile of REQ007.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Trudy,

I have tried as per your instruction...

Please see attached my excel again for PATH column... 

I am new to import excel into QC ... it will be a greate help you do some editing on PATH Column that how it should be ... that will be great help for me.

Thank you so much.

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Your path information appears to be correct.

Are you selecting rows 2 through 5 before you start the import process?

Do you receive any errors during the import process? If so, what are they?

CAREFULLY review the Excel Add-in Guide.  All the information I have provided to you could've been found in the guide in the section titled "Formatting Requirements" .  For example:

"Designate a Requirement Type column. For each requirement, specify the requirement type."

You have not specified a requirement type for your very first requirement.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.