Highlighted
Valued Contributor.. Valued Contributor..
Valued Contributor..

Field to be copied when we pull the test cases to test lab

Jump to solution

Is that possible if any field that was created and the values updated in the test plan should be copied and auto populated when we pull the test case from test plan to test lab and display the same in Run and Run steps while execute the test case.

Please advice me.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Re: Field to be copied when we pull the test cases to test lab

Jump to solution

Maybe a better way to describe your question is this? 

You want to be able to display a user-defined field from the source test case (in test plan) during manual test execution (manual runner), and in the test instance of the test set.

For the test run (manual runner), it should be possible to do this with workflow code and some OTA calls to obtain the user-defined field. You would place this code into the RunTestsManually method or similar. That would allow you to import the value to want to the run-time field data.

For the test instance (in the test set), this is more difficult.  Ideally you'd want to trigger some kind of workflow action when the test / configuration is selected and added to the test set. However I don't think there's an event that is raised that can be used to trigger workflow.  You could try using the TestSet_CanAddTests to see when it is triggered, and if it is being triggered at the right instant, then add your OTA call to that subroutine.

But I agree with Sheyenne it is really difficult to figure out what the purpose of this customization is.  Is this "Market" field essential an essential test property that must be displayed to the user in the test instance or test run (as a property), or is it really a run-time parameter. Or perhaps this field is being used to segment the test runs, similar to what you might do with a "Browser Type" user field. In that case maybe using this as a test configuration label would be the better solution.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Jump to solution

This is very vague. Its not clear. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.. Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Jump to solution

A couple of things.  When you add a field in the Test Plan, that is a custom field which you can choose to display in the Execution Grid, just make sure you display the corresponding columns from the Test record.  In this case, there should be no need to copy the value from the Test Plan because the field can be made visible.

As to the run and run steps, not sure what you are trying to do there.  Maybe state an example of a workflow you needed to do.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Valued Contributor.. Valued Contributor..
Valued Contributor..

Jump to solution

For example: i have a free text field called "Market" created in Testplan. When i create a new test case in test plan, i will update the market field with value.

Now, i pulled the test case in Test lab, the field should be copied along with the value into test lab and it should display in Run and Run step while executing the test case.

Is it possible?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor

Jump to solution

It seems to me "Test Parameters" is what you're looking for. Have you tried that?

Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.. Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Jump to solution
My response to this is same. And I don't think there is an easy way to include the custom field from the Test record into the Run or Run Step while executing the test.
It would be good if it was explained why this was needed. Often times, people are just asking how to do this one specific thing but sometimes that method is not exactly the best way or best practice to do things. At best, a user should be able to describe the problem statement as opposed to "automating" the "presumed solution", imo.
0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.

Jump to solution

+1

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

Maybe a better way to describe your question is this? 

You want to be able to display a user-defined field from the source test case (in test plan) during manual test execution (manual runner), and in the test instance of the test set.

For the test run (manual runner), it should be possible to do this with workflow code and some OTA calls to obtain the user-defined field. You would place this code into the RunTestsManually method or similar. That would allow you to import the value to want to the run-time field data.

For the test instance (in the test set), this is more difficult.  Ideally you'd want to trigger some kind of workflow action when the test / configuration is selected and added to the test set. However I don't think there's an event that is raised that can be used to trigger workflow.  You could try using the TestSet_CanAddTests to see when it is triggered, and if it is being triggered at the right instant, then add your OTA call to that subroutine.

But I agree with Sheyenne it is really difficult to figure out what the purpose of this customization is.  Is this "Market" field essential an essential test property that must be displayed to the user in the test instance or test run (as a property), or is it really a run-time parameter. Or perhaps this field is being used to segment the test runs, similar to what you might do with a "Browser Type" user field. In that case maybe using this as a test configuration label would be the better solution.

View solution in original post

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.