ALERT! The community will be read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific as the migration begins. Read more for important details.
ALERT! The community will be read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific as the migration begins.Read more for important details.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Generating ALM Client installers prior to ALM upgrade

Hi,

We have a managed estate for out Desktops whereby users do not ordinarily have admin rights on their own desktops (and further lockdowns are applied via group policy/permissions). To deploy the QC ALM desktop client, we have a centrally supplied installer that will install the required MSI for the user (currently 12.01).#

We're looking to do an in-place upgrade of QC to 12.21p2 (since it is virtualised, we can do this with no risk as revertion to a snapshot is easy if the upgrade fails, and we have no need or budget to setup another new server to migrate to yet again). To avoid delay in users getting access again (eg time taken to package the deployable installer, once we supply it to desktop support), and to stop lots of support calls once the upgrade takes place, we'd like to supply an updated installer in advance. However, without the install in place, we can't download the .msi to install, or generate it using the MSI Generator.

What's the best solution here that will allow me to have a suitable MSI for the version I plan to install, and allow users to regain access to the upgraded system as soon as possible? Do I have to do a temporary ALM install somewhere else, and generate the MSI from there? (Will that affect the result if the hostname isn't the same?)

Thanks for any help,

Graeme

0 Likes
0 Replies
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.