Highlighted
Respected Contributor.. Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

HP option for RunTestSet Scheduler

Jump to solution

I use RunTestSet scheduler with windows Task Scheduler to execute test sets at specific times on specific days of the week or month.  I can run multiple test sets in a folder.  Does QC offer a similar solution yet?

Thanks,

Marvin

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

For the moment that is the only one that we have.

Regards,

Sue Sevilla | SW Technical Support Consultant.

Application Lifecycle Management

Hewlett-Packard Enterprise

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.If you are satisfied with anyone's response please remember to give them KUDOS by clicking on the STAR at the bottom left of the post and show your appreciation."

View solution in original post

0 Likes
13 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Check this for ALM: https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/group/softwaresupport/search-result/-/facetsearch/document/KM191021

Take in mind that the tool and usage is not supported by HPE, any concern or issue with this is out of scope

Regards,

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution. If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them KUDOS by clicking on the STAR at the bottom left of the post and show your appreciation.”

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor..

Thanks for the reply but your link is to the Runtestset scheduler that I am describing and have been using for years.  Is HP going to offer a similar functionality in ALM?  Does the ALM Lab Management tool offer the scheduing functionality?

Thanks,

Marvin

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

For the moment that is the only one that we have.

Regards,

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.If you are satisfied with anyone's response please remember to give them KUDOS by clicking on the STAR at the bottom left of the post and show your appreciation."

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I'm not the developer who created the original solution. That was done by a person no longer with the company and it was coded in c++ v6; very old.

Several years ago I coded the new utility because the original was becomming increasingly difficult and costly to maintain. Additionally an issue where Tests are pinned to Baselines would not execute and this had to be addressed. The decision was to start from the ground up in .Net.

The most recent modification I implemented was about 1.5yrs ago so it is possible to direct which remote machine to run the automatic runner but no changes since then.

There aren't any plans to revisit the RunTestSetScheduler utility. This because there are many other test execution solutions which duplicate the RunTestSet Scheduler.

You might wish to explore the Lab Management functionality in ALM as an alternative.

Another option is to use Jenkins/Hudson for test execution (Build Management). 

Jenkins is in the road map for continued integration development in respect to test execution therefore is the preferred method.

Phil Trostel
0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor..

Hi Phil,

Thank you for your reply.

The most recent modification I implemented was about 1.5yrs ago so it is possible to direct which remote machine to run the automatic runner but no changes since then.

Where can we find that modification of 1.5 yrs ago ?  This question because the referenced article KM191021 states as update timestamp "2014-Jan-21"  which is much longer ago.

Thank you

Jan

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jan,

Not sure why but I wasn't able to edit the KB article but just got that sorted by our internal team.

Looks like my last update was in October 2015. I've uploaded v2.7 to the KM1395031.

https://softwaresupport.hp.com/group/softwaresupport/search-result/-/facetsearch/document/KM1395031

Enjoy!

Phil

Phil Trostel
0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor..

Thank you Phil !

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor..

Phil,

I have another small question for you.

Can you give any advice on how to get rid of the log4net ERROR while using the RunTestScheduler_ALM.exe ?

Example of an execution below :

Connecting...
Getting Test Set: CVM_UAT
Test Set: CVM_UAT retrieved
Starting Scheduler
Automatic Runner Executing on: localhost
Scheduler Started
log4net:ERROR [RollingFileAppender] Unable to acquire lock on file C:\Users\id123456\. Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\id123456\
'.
Executing...

Thank you !

Regards,

Jan

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jan,

I know what you speak of and I've encountered the same error myself.

Try opening a cmd prompt and navigating to the location where the ALM client is installed, should be something like: C:\Users\<windows_user>\AppData\Local\HP\ALM-Client\<alm_server>

Then type the following: wexectrl.exe" /regserver

Phil

Phil Trostel
0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor..

Hi Phil,

Thank you for getting back to me !

Try opening a cmd prompt and navigating to the location where the ALM client is installed, should be something like: C:\Users\<windows_user>\AppData\Local\HP\ALM-Client\<alm_server>

Then type the following: wexectrl.exe" /regserver

I tried your suggestion but unfortunately the issue remains after having done that action.

Any chance you did some more actions ?

Thanks again !

Jan

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jan,

Its an error something like this, correct?

Scheduler Started log4net:ERROR [RollingFileAppender] Unable to acquire lock on file C:\Users\tros tel\AppData\Local\Temp\QTPPlugin.log. The process cannot access the file 'C:\Users\trostel\AppData\Local\Temp\QTPPlugin.log' because it is being used by another process.

Obviously I'm getting the above, I traced it down. Its connected with the log for the QTP addin as defined in the file: C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\Unified Functional Testing\bin\LogConfig.xml

In the above file you'll find the tag...
<log4net>
<appender name="RollingFile" type="log4net.Appender.RollingFileAppender">
<file value="C:\Users\trostel\AppData\Local\Temp\QTPPlugin.log"/>

I tried removing the value, changing the value. The log is empty. Its something to do with the path or similar.
Suffice to say I do not think it is the RunTestSet Scheduler utility. This because log4j is a rapid logging network within Java. And we are not using Java with this utility. Also the ALM client is written in c++(legacy) and c#(dotNet) and does not use Java. I tend to think it is something to do with UFT.
Is it possible to ignore?
Phil

Phil Trostel
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.