Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

HPALM compatible tooling

Jump to solution

Our company has now adopted ALM for Requirements Management, alongside HPQC for Test Management.  Are there any HP tools which can be used for creating ULM artifacts, so that we would have a complete, compatible set of tools from Requirements elicitation to System Test, to support traceability and requirement status?

Failing that, which tools are compatible with HPQC/ALM, so that our need for Traceability support can be filled?

Thanking the experts in advance

Mike Gooding

Business Analyst

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Hi Mike

Understood. I have been hoping that this area would be improved with later versions of ALM as well - since the current BPMN standard supported is on 2.1

As mentioned you can import models produced by 'any' tool in xpdl format, but it does require manipultion in order to get the import to work. Seems whoever wrote the import routine was very specific about the structure ( I have some documentation on this from HP as I raised a case with them to sort it out )

This would be the last piece to give a really rich Requirements Management tool - and it was mentioned some time ago that direct modeling in ALM was on the road map. I guess they dropped it in favour of other features. Shame that they couldn't at least bring the import process up to the latest BPMN standard.

Thanks

Martin

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Hi Mike

Not sure what you mean here - I had to look up what ULM artifacts meant.

HP ALM is a unified application so Requirements and Test Management are in the one tool.

It does support import of Business Models from other tools - though the range is very limited. Basically Aris. You can also use Bizagi and then modify the text before importing to get it to work.

Imported models get automatically exploded into Requirements and then these requirements can be generated or linked to Test Scripts etc.

The reporting functionality in ALM is now probably its best feature as it gives all sorts of capabilities to report either directly in ALM or externally via Excel

Hope this helps

Thanks

Martin

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks, Martin.  Of course, I meant to say UML artifacts - i.e. Activity Diagrams, Use Cases and so on.  In the same way that Microfocus Caliber requirements can be traced forward to their Architecture Modelling tool, Together, and RequisitePro requirements can be traced forwards to the Rational modelling tool, RSA, I was hoping that HP also had some modelling tool in that space.  But it seems not.  Not serious, but would be a Nice-to-have.

regards

Mike Gooding

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Hi Mike

Understood. I have been hoping that this area would be improved with later versions of ALM as well - since the current BPMN standard supported is on 2.1

As mentioned you can import models produced by 'any' tool in xpdl format, but it does require manipultion in order to get the import to work. Seems whoever wrote the import routine was very specific about the structure ( I have some documentation on this from HP as I raised a case with them to sort it out )

This would be the last piece to give a really rich Requirements Management tool - and it was mentioned some time ago that direct modeling in ALM was on the road map. I guess they dropped it in favour of other features. Shame that they couldn't at least bring the import process up to the latest BPMN standard.

Thanks

Martin

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Regular Contributor.
Regular Contributor.

Hello,

we use HP-ALM 11.52 and looking for BPT. On the other hand wie use bizagi 2.8.

Does HP-ALM 11.52 support the XPDL Import for this bizagi version ?

It is now BPMN 2.0.

thank you

Bernd

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Bernd, I'm sure HPALM can import from bizagi - I've never tried this , but XPDL is standard.  Best thing is to try it.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Hi

No it doesn't. I have tried all version of Bizagi from 2.4, 2.6, 2.7, and 2.8 ( which by the way is buggy so stick to 2.7) and none of the straight exports will work.

I have written workflow to manipulate the exported xpdl file from Bizagi into a format that can be imported. It works with all versions. I have set up a button in the Business Models toolbar

Please email me at my private email address - martin.sander45@gmail.com and I will send it too you

Thanks

Martin

NOTE : the views expressed here are entirely my own

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.