UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21. Read more.
UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21.Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

How insert a step in a particular order in test lab

I have a test set that is linked to a test plan. When we run a manual test set in Test Lab, we are able to add new steps that will show up at the bottom of the list of steps in the 'Run Tests' window, however we need to be able to move a step to a particular place in the step order (or add a new step directly there).  For example,  need to be able to move Step 3 above Step 2 in the following list.  

Simply changing the name from step 3 to step 1.1 or anything similiar to that does not help, as the list will simply reflect the order : 1,2,1.1.    There does not appear to be any way to move the step, or resort the list. 

This seems like it would be a common complaint, but since I haven't seen it on this forum, there must be a way to do this.     This is nearly making us give up on using this tool, as it is extremely difficult to order our test steps properly in the test lab.   Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
11 Replies
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

I have never found a way to do this.  I have had to manually add blank steps to the end of the case, then manually cut and paste the descriptions and expected resutls of each step, shifting the information down to the blank steps to clear an existing step in the middle for new information.

[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

(Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.)
0 Likes
Absent Member..

What version of QC are you using? 

The last version I used was 9.2 and there, you could simply grab the left gray edge of the step and drag it where you want it to be.  The Step Name will not change, so in you example it would then be 1, 3, 2, but then clicking on the Renumber Steps Icon leaves the steps in the same order, but changes the numbers to be 1, 2, 3.

Does this no longer work in newer versions?

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Hello RoniRobinson,

This works the same way as it use to in 9.2.(the way you sepcified holds good in test plan), But really not sure if we can move the steps in Test lab.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Trudy's workaound is the only solution I have come up with too, but wastes a HUGE amount of time, especially when there are a large number of steps. This tool is used by major corporations, so I can't imagine they are putting up with such an issue.

We have 10.0, and while it will let you grab the grey bar and move the line in test PLAN, it doesn't seem to work in test LAB.    Changing the test plan doesn't filter down to an existing test lab set, so if we modify the Test plan as a work around to try to modify the test set , then we have to link a whole new test lab set and test results from the exising set do not get included.  Either option is equally painful and  very time consuming, considering that the test lab sets are modified and changed regularly throughout test execution.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Sorry for the interrupt, I also have a few questions here --

Are you talking about insert a step during test executin?

Is there any way to update the test steps during test execution?

Will the changed test be marked?

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Zhangj10,

Are you talking about insert a step during test executin?
- The answer to this question is already stated in original message in this thread.

Is there any way to update the test steps during test execution?
- Yes. Refer to the User Guide chapter titled "Manual Test Execution".

Will the changed test be marked?
- What do you mean by "marked"?

[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

(Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.)
0 Likes
Captain Captain
Captain

HP said its hard coded to add the new step at the bottom during test execution.  I asked if it could be customized and they said no.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Sorry for jumping in - but if it is possible to change test step during test execution phase (in Test Lab module) - how do we enable that option?

We are trying to achieve that and not able to set QC 10.00 such that we can allow modification of test steps during test execution. Can someone please advise.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Shubham99,

Hijacking a thread is bad forum etiquette. Please start a new thread.

If you start a new thread for your question, I will happily provide more information.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Trudy,

Sorry - I didn't mean to hijack someone's thread.

I started a new thread with my questions on, "How to enable settings that allows Test Modification while test being executed in Test Lab?"

Can you please look into it.

Appreciate your help.

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Are you trying to do that in Manual Runner Windows. Not posible to do it there.

There is one questing that come to my mind though!!!!.

Did you find out once you are running the test set, that in a particular test case step order is not in  the way it should be!!!!.

If a person from my team come and ask me that question, I would send it back to the training room.

Testing best practice:

Get a requirement

Create test cases

validate test cases

change test cases status to ready

Once test cases are ready you create test set in test lab

insert test case instance

execute the test cases. At this point you should not have to make changes to your test cases.

Sorry for my english. It is my 3er. language

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.