Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Inactive sessions not getting disconnected.

Jump to solution

We're using ALM 11.52 patch 5.

We've had the WAIT_BEFORE_DISCONNECT parameter set to 240 for years.

I logged in to Site Admin today and looked at the Site Connections tab.  I see multiple ALM Client UI sessions with Last Action timestamps that are more than 24 hours old.

Why have these session not been automatically disconnected?

[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

(Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi Trudy,

I was not able to find such existing request. Therefore i suggest you file an ER.

Thanks,

Hristo

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Good day Trudy,

Since when is not working?

I found that this can be solved by Restarting the Database Server.

Thanks in advance and I will wait for your response.

Best regards,

Krystal Mata U.
HP QC/ALM Support Team

(If this post or any other post helps to resolve your issue or query, please mark the thread as solved)

(Posts and opinions made here are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my employer HP in any way)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Thank you for the suggestion.

I can't tell you when the problem started since there is no alert for it. I just happened to notice some sessions with a Last

Action timestamp that exceeded the WAIT_BEFORE_DISCONNECT time span.

Why would restarting the Database server resolve this issue?  Given that the system is in use continuously by hundreads of users, system reboots are something that needs to be scheduled in advance. I'd rather not do that unless there is an explanation as to why it would help solve the problem.

[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

(Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi Trudy,

The last action time in Site Admin -> Site Connections tab holds the time of the last "real" request of the session. Where "real" means a request that was made by the client, and not a ping. If a user is running a manual or automated test and they just leave the manual runner session open for manual runs, then their client will send pings to the server to stay alive but this will not update the last action time. Same thing for automated tests - if the test set takes several hours to finish then the last action time will not get updated, so you may think that the WAIT_BEFORE_DISCONNECT parameter is not working.
So, most likely the disconnects that are not working are because the users are running manual tests or they simply left the manual test execution winodow opened. My suggestion is to check with these users whether this is the case or not.

Thanks,

Hristo

Highlighted
Absent Member..

Hristo,

Thank you for that excellent information.

Is there a way in Site Admin to display that timestamp that WAIT_BEFORE_DISCONNECT is actually compared to?

If there is not, can you tell me it there is a change request already open for this functionality?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi Trudy,

Could you be a little bit more specific about your latest question?

Thanks,

Hristo

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Sure.  In your reply you said:

"their client will send pings to the server to stay alive but this will not update the last action time"

That ping apparently leaves some timestamp trace somewhere, and that is the timestamp used by the system to determine if the session has been inactive. I want to see that timestamp in the Site Admin User Connections tab. Is that possible?

If it isn't currently possible, has somebody already file an enhancement request to get that timestamp information added to the Site Admin User Connections tab?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi Trudy,

I was not able to find such existing request. Therefore i suggest you file an ER.

Thanks,

Hristo

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.