Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Migrating projects from PC 11.00 to PC 11.50

Jump to solution

I'm in the process of setting up a new ALM/PC 11.50 server, and have reached the point where I need to migrate our PC projects over.  The documentation specifies that I need to be sure that nothing is checked out on the old server. 

So, I do I verify that?  I saw that I can see what items I have checked out.  Is there some way as an administrative user I can determine ALL the items(if any ) that are checked out, and force them to be checked back in?

If not, what are the consequences of migrating with checked out items?

Marc Robertson

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Contributor.. Contributor..
Contributor..

Hello Marc,

You can check if you have check-outed items in Site Administration of your current version of ALM/PC.

You just have to login into Site Admin and navigate select project by project and expand its tables.

Yoh have to check for records in each table which name starts with "VC_".

In these tables you will see all check-outed entities with the user responsible for the entity.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
Anton Labachev

HP Support
[If this post or any other post helps to resolve your issue or query, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance. ]

If you haven’t tried it yet, come and join us in our entitled forums at http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/News/Support-Customer-Forums-now-available/m-p/5610181/message-uid/5610181#U5610181

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor.. Contributor..
Contributor..

Hello Marc,

You can check if you have check-outed items in Site Administration of your current version of ALM/PC.

You just have to login into Site Admin and navigate select project by project and expand its tables.

Yoh have to check for records in each table which name starts with "VC_".

In these tables you will see all check-outed entities with the user responsible for the entity.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
Anton Labachev

HP Support
[If this post or any other post helps to resolve your issue or query, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance. ]

If you haven’t tried it yet, come and join us in our entitled forums at http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/News/Support-Customer-Forums-now-available/m-p/5610181/message-uid/5610181#U5610181

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

you can do so, provided above information. You can also force to checked back in all projects with checked out entities using sql commands.

what might happen if you dont check in projects?

You wouldn't be able to migrate/upgrade your projects.

What's worst is that if you dont have a backup of your projects (repository and database). There is no point you can check in the entities where you need to load your project back to a PC server of the same version as before just to check in the entities.

Best practice for migration would be is to have a parallel migration. Meaning the current server is up as you migrate your projects to the new server.

I hope these information helps.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Hello,

Can you specify: "You can also force to check in ... entities using sql commands."

Do I just have to delete the entry in the VC_... file? Anything else?

Do you have an example sql statement?

Thank you

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Hello,

Sure to force to check in entities using sql commands means deleting all the values on the VC tables.

As you said you just have to delete the entry on the VC_Table,
An example would be: "DELETE FROM VC_TEST"

Please let me know if this information was helpful

Best Regards,

Bryan Sanchez
HP QC/ALM support team

(Posts and opinions made here are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my employer HP in any way) 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Hello,

thank you for the quick response.

The problem is: we have both old checked out entities from users, who don't exist anymore, and new checked out entities.

I don't want to delete all entries but only those who belong to nonexistent users.

Some VC-files have columns with checkout-date and -time information, other VC-files don't have it. So I am afraid to harm consistency if I delete only one entry.

Every VC-file has an USER_NAME in the first column. Is it ok to delete all entries in all VC-files for a particular username? Is consistency ensured then?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Hi,

Sure it is a pleasure to help,

What you are telling me can be done with no problem, just delete the entries who belong to nonexistent users. But not for the upgrade process.

The reason for this is that version control enabled projects from Quality Center 10.00 or ALM 11.00 cannot be upgraded to ALM 11.52 while there are checked out entities. All entities must be checked in to the corresponding version of Quality Center or ALM.

You can refer to this information at page 147 of the installation and upgrade guide of ALM 11.52 which I attached here.

I hope this information helps.

Best Regards,

Bryan Sanchez
HP QC/ALM support team

If this post or any other post helps to resolve your issue or query, please mark the thread as solved.

(Posts and opinions made here are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my employer HP in any way) 

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.