Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Migration of Assets from One Repository to Another

I need to move users test assets (stories, test resources, test cases, test sets) from their current project into a new project but am finding difficulty selecting a method that actually works.

• Baselines: I tried to create a baseline in the current project so that I could just import it into the new project. I would have been able to select stories, test resources and test cases but not test sets.  I accepted that risk and tried it anyway.  The problem is that it has a maximum number of entities that can be in a baseline which meant I had to create lots of baselines to move the entities.  The problem with that is that if there was a linkage between two entities in the current project but ended up being in two separate baselines because of how I had to break it up – that linkage (a test case has steps where it calls another test) was lost.

• Copy and Paste: we have been trying copying and pasting between the projects but are finding lots of issues due to linkages between test cases (calls to test) and also linkages between test cases and test sets.
    1. If we copy and paste the test set than it will successfully create the test set and it will also bring in test cases associated with that test set
    2. Then if we copy the test cases it will create copies of whatever test cases already existed from step a
    3. We don’t know what to retain versus delete because if we delete the copies than if there were any calls or linkages established in those test cases – they are lost. If we delete the ones created from step a than we are breaking the connection between the test set and the test plan
    4. We also have no idea how to move over the test resources and retain any critical linkages between the different modules

What is the best way to forklift sections of an ALM project into a new project??

0 Likes
2 Replies
Admiral
Admiral

I wouldn't do baselines because the libraries are still linked to the source entity.

And when you do a front end copy, it has those links/relationships that you have encountered.

The best way to do it is to download from the source/old project, and upload it to the new project using excel add-in.  This way the assets on the new project are entirely brand new and have no linkages whatsoever.

0 Likes
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Thanks for the reply. If I download and upload will those relationship still be linked?

Relationship I mean:

1. Test cases called to other test cases

2. Test case to requirements mapping

3. Defects to test set mapping

4. Tests to resources

Maintaining these relationship were the obstacles we are facing right now.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.