New Ranks & Badges For The Community!
Notice something different? The ranks and associated badges have gone "Star Fleet". See what they all mean HERE
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Move qcsiteadmin db to a different db server

Running QC 9.x. I have built a new SQL server, SQL 2008. I have migrated all project db's to this new server. All projects work.

When I migrate the qcsiteadmin db to the new server and start QC it is always looking for the old db, and using the old connection string.

I have updated the following with the new db info :

- dbcon.txt
- siteadmin.xml in sabin.war and 10sabin.war
- siteadmin.xml ( in any cache locations )
- qc_db_setup.xml

Where is QC getting the old db connection string from?

0 Likes
13 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

When you migrated the projects to the new DB server, did you manually modify each project's dbid.config file (I think that is the correct name)?

Did you add the new DB server to the DB Servers tab in Site Admin?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hi Rhonda,
it is dbid.xml file 🙂

Regards, A.E.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Just to point out, My issue is not with the projects, but the Site Administration db.

When I migrated the projects to the new db instance I :

- added the new db to the "DB Servers" in the Site Administration
- I took the projects off line
- I updated the "Connection String" of each project to the one used by the new db in Site Administration ( may have done this with the project active)
- In the db I corrected an issue with the td user after attaching the database.
- Updated qcsiteadmin_db.PROJECTS.dbserver_name to the new db server / instance name. ( The project worked without this but my fulltext was not. )

The dbid.xml is correct for all projects.
All projects are running on the new db instance.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,
I recently contacted HP support with a similar request. They answered me that version 9 was not supporting change of siteadmin db (I wanted to move from oracle towards ms-sql).
Their only workaround was to re-install the qc server itself with a new siteadmin db and then copying data from old db to new db.
If you find an easier solution, please copy me.
Kinds, Philippe.
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Robert, there are two 10sabin.war. One is archived file and other is a folder.
10sabin.war folder is located at \Application folder.

Open siteadmin.xml file from this folder, update the file and save.

Now open 10sabin.war file using winrar or some equivalent tool. This file should be located at \jboss\server\deploy (don't remember extactly). Replace the original siteadmin.xml file with the updated one.

Restart the service. QC should point to new siteadmin schema now.

Regards,
Imran

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Imran,

Thanks for the input. I do not see two 10sabin.war files. I have a 10sabin.war and sabin.war under the locations you described. I have update both with the new db info.

..\application\sabin.war
..\jboss\server\default\deploy\10sabin.war

For the URL you posted, I cannot access as i dont have a passport account. I see that article refered to in different postings. Can you or someong provide tha article?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

How can the Siteadmin.xml file to be updated to change the Site Administrator configuration for Quality Center (QC)?

Solution

Updating the siteadmin.xml file on the application server involves the following steps â instructions written with Windows OS in mind, Linux/Unix commands added for clarification
IMPORTANT INFORMATION:
Quality Center 10 now only has one .war file
Please replace 10sabin.war references with 20qcbin.war below when QC 10 server is used
10sabin.war is for QC versions 9.0 and 9.2
is the installation directory of Quality Center (c:\program files\hpâ ¦, /opt/hpâ ¦)
For JBoss:
1. From /application make a backup copy of the sabin.war file
Linux/Unix: cp -i sabin.war sabin_bak.war
2. Move 10sabin.war from /jboss/server/default/deploy to /application, then rename it to sabin.war. This step will ensure all previous modifications are preserved.
Notes:
Be sure to move the 10sabin.war file, do not just copy and rename it. If you only rename the file, changes may not take effect, since JBOSS will use the renamed copy of 10sabin.war, or 20qcbin.war
Linux/Unix: (From /application) mv -i /application/jboss/server/default/deploy/10sabin.war sabin.war
3. Open the sabin.war file and navigate to the folder WEB-INF in the archive (rename .war to .zip if do not have WinZip or such utility).
4. Open the siteadmin.xml file (should open in a browser window), click on View Source (if IE window) and edit using text editor.
5. Save the siteadmin.xml file to desktop or file folder.
6. Copy the edited siteadmin.xml file into the Opened up zip, make sure to drag/drop in the WEB-INF where the current version resides.
7. Click Yes to replace the version in the archive.
8. Close the open zip window and if necessary rename .zip to .war.
9. From \application\sabin, copy the sabin.war file to \jboss\server\default\deploy folder

Linux/Unix: cp -i sabin.war /jboss/server/default/deploy/sabin.war
10. From /jboss/server/default/deploy folder rename sabin.war to 10sabin.war.
Linux/Unix: mv -i sabin.war 10sabin.war
11. Restart Quality Center (redeployment can take 3-5 minutes to complete).
For Weblogic:
1. From /application make a backup copy of the sabin.war file
Linux/Unix: cp -i sabin.war sabin_bak.war
2. Locate the deployed sabin.war file.
a. Log into the WebLogic Management Console.
b. Navigate to Qcdomains -> Deployments.
c. Click on the sabin application.
d. Navigate to the Configurations tab -> General tab.
e. Note the path of the sabin.war file.
3. Move the sabin.war file from the location noted in step 2e to /application. This step will ensure all previous modifications are preserved.
Linux/Unix: mv -i /server/sabin.war sabin.war

4. Extract sabin.war to a temporary directory.
Example:

cd \application\sabin
jar xf \application\sabin.war
5. Open the siteadmin.xml file (e.g., this file will be found at \application\sabin\WEB-INF).

Linux/Unix: cd /application/sabin/WEB-INF â vi td_siteadmin.xml
6. Update the siteadmin.xml using a text editor.
7. Zip up the sabin.war file.
Example:
cd \application\sabin
jar cvf sabin.war *
8. Delete the deployment of sabin from WebLogic Management console.
9. Copy the sabin.war from the \application\sabin to location noted in step 2e.

Linux/Unix: cp -i sabin.war /server/sabin.war
10. Redeploy the sabin.war.

Philippe.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Philippe,

Thanks for the posting but I had already updated the siteadmin.xml in the war files. When I start QC it fails. When I run the QC checker tool I see the old connection string is still being used.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Sorry I cannot help more, this was just the article pointed at by Imran. Philippe.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Philippe,

I do appriciate the effort. It has been hard to find help with this.

I have followed up another lead and in addition to all the steps I have done, I was told a jar file needed to be updated. Unbelievable, a simple concept as migrating to a new db can be made such a horific process.

Once again, thanks.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.