Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

QC 10 vs ALM 11

Has anyone else been really disappointed with the new ALM 11 over QC 10?

I really think the person(s) who design the new interface have never actually used this product.

What I mean by the pervious statement, is that there are a lot of little things that a a real pain that my customer(s) and I deal with daily.

One example that I would point out is when a tester clicks on a testset and the first screen that appears is the description instead of the execution grid (after the first time who ever goes to this screen).

I am just curious if anyone else has found other little annoying things that you or your customers/testers complain a about.

To be fair, I do like the cleaner interface just not a lot of the re-configuration of the product or the added bulk to the client.

We would have staied on QC10 if it wasn't for the lack of support for 64-bit Win 7 in qc 10.

0 Likes
15 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.. Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

Re: QC 10 vs ALM 11

I have had one major customer tell me that the  ONLY reason they could find for migrating to ALM was the BPT Wrapper. Apparently this helped performance of the product quite a bit.

Now, the issue with the BPT Wrapper is that is needs to be disabled as a workaround to correct several issues with the product. A hotfix is promised.

This customer also echoes the issues you raised with the interface. The customer also reports the constant items that were fixed in QC 10 with patches and hotfixes, that reappear in ALM with no apparent hotfix or patch. The quality testing of the product seems to be lacking according to them.

Now to be fair, other customers have been using the product and have not reported as many issues.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.. Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

QC 10/ALM has its own pros/cons as every product does.To my knowledge it has a good architecture and offerings while compared to others .I totally respect your concerns but it just needs some aquaintence when we are exploring a new version and hopefully any bugs identified will be fixed in future patch levels.

The basic concept of a test set or a folder is simple as such,when you create a new folder in your system and a basic pointer will only point the properties of the folder (like created,size etc.Not until you go inside the folder you come to know whats the content inside it.

Similarly for a test set it directly provides a glimpse of highlevels details of test set at the first screen by default and execution grid is not that hard to find if looking for execution details.

From my end ,i was more concerned of major issues like while upgrading and after upgrading consequences which really bothers and has to be addressed.

Venkat
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

>>The basic concept of a test set or a folder is simple as such,when you create a new folder in your system and a basic

>>pointer will only point the properties of the folder (like created,size etc.Not until you go inside the folder you come to know

>>whats the content inside it.

>>Similarly for a test set it directly provides a glimpse of highlevels details of test set at the first screen by default and

>>execution  grid is not that hard to find if looking for execution details.

I get what your saying, but my point is the following.  In QC10, when one clicked on a Test Set the default view was the execution grid tab.  In ALM 11, the default view is the Details tab.  I know it is easy to click on the next tab, but if someone uses this to execute 100s - 1000s of tests daily it gets a little annoying.  I am not saying this is a big deal but for the 11th version of a product.  I would expect the designers to know how people actually use the project on a daily basis.

If you have to use this product daily and you expect a certain level of functionality it is the little things in usibility that determine if you like a product.  Right now I get a lot of complains how the older product was better. 

I have also been using this product for many years and know it is better to wait at least a year before putting the new version into your production system because of the major problems that are usually found with this product upon the first release(s). 

But maybe you are correct, I expect too much from a very expensive product, and support,  when there are a lot of Open Source products out there comming up in the market.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.. Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

In QC 10,if i click on details tab and logout and login back ,then it takes me to the same details tab again,not to execution grid.

Same applies for execution grid--execution grid,so its just the app is taking back to last action.May be it can true for ALM as well??

Venkat
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

You are correct so i guess the problem is that in 11 it does not take you back to the last tab you were viewing.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Hi,

I can confirm this and think that it is big defect. All version before work correctly. Did you already send a defekt to HP Support?

VS.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Hey Guys

This as small insignificant issues in the wider scheme of things

1. What about the removal of admin rights for installation ?

2. What about Sprinter - its awesome

3. What about the ability to test multiple browsers at once

4. What about the ability to store process models against your requirements

5 What about adding KPIs to your testing to make reporting more meaninful

etc.

I and most of our organisation think its a massive step forward ad far better than Version 10

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

What UI are you talking about folks ... What do you expect from a company which could not get Google bot crawl forums for months after a simple forums migration ... Then there are layers after layers to get to the right forum we call Quality Center ... What about a forum with this black background when I am using everyone at work feels I am at a teens forum chatting all day with kids ...

HP is disappointing from UI design perspectives anyways ...

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

>>1. What about the removal of admin rights for installation ?

Really, I had to have admin rights to install it on all the Windows 7 computers.

>>2. What about Sprinter - its awesome

It is cool but not really used by my testers.  I guess if I had a different team creating the tests and another group just executing them, It would be more useful to my group.

>>3. What about the ability to test multiple browsers at once

I don't quite understand why you could not do this with 10

>>4. What about the ability to store process models against your requirements

We use an external product for requirements management and import it into ALM.

>>5 What about adding Kips to your testing to make reporting more manfully

I was using digital dashboard since version 9, so I actually lost functionally by going to version 10.  I guess it's nice they finally added the original functionality they took away.

>>I and most of our organization think its a massive step forward ad far better than Version 10

>>Thanks

I am really glad you guys can make use of it and are happy with it.  I am just a little disappointed that the core functionally has a few hiccup.  I still believe ALM is a good product, but I would have built on what make my product great and added to that functionality unstead of changing it and adding a lot of stuff that is nice.

I mean what about change management,  I think that could have been improved for manually tests and automation.  The fact that when you are in the grid view you can not just press the down arrow and then paste into the field is annoying.

Like I said before, it is a lot of small stuff that if a person who uses it a lot would notice

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

In my humble opinion, it's half cooked food. HP could have performed more testing before releasing this.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

I would agree we have opened many cases lately during our upgrade process..

One of the biggest pains thus far is the change to the favorites.  We used to be able to create Favorite Views of the Test Lab Execution Grid to sort and display columns for a particular kind of testing.

Now it appears that the favorite view in the Test Lab holds none of the Grid Information just the filters that are applied to the Tree?  What exactly is the point of that favorite.  There are others problems that I may come back to mention includind another topic I started in another forum concerning the MSI Generator.

I like some of the new features, but at what cost is the question.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.