Commander Commander
Commander

QC 9.2 client-side installation issues

We're in the process of upgrading to QC 9.2 from TD 8.0. Most end-users do not have Admin rights on their local machine, so we're building an SMS package to install .NET Framework 2.0 and QC 9.2 (patch 16) using the .MSI from the add-ins page.

We have delivered the package to a test machine & executed it with a user that has Admin rights. It appears that installation completes successfully. But, when logging onto the computer with a user that does not have Admin rights, they cannot reach the QC login page. They reach the 'general access page', but when clicking the QC link they receive a blank page. No error message, no "X" in the upper left. A different user with Admin rights reaches the login page successfully.

We have verified that the user executing the install package has the required permissions on the local system to folders & the registry. All files appear in the correct directories but clearly something is missing. We've had a support case open w/HP 2nd level support for two weeks but have yet to get an answer or make real headway. Any help or ideas are much appreciated.
0 Likes
5 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I have not been able to do what you have done without a login into QC once with admin rights. For some reason it needs to download and install one last component. Once that occurs your other user without admin rights should be able to login.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

You may already know this - so apologies if you do.

There's a file called setup_a.ini that is used by QC to decide if all other files are up to date.

"up to date" is determined in various ways, but the main ones are last modified timestamp, file size, checksum, and for EXE/DLL/OCX, internal version info.

One possibility is that one of the files you have listed in the [Files_x] set in this file has incorrect file information. If this is the case, QC will try and auto download a new file every time - because the local file never matches what it see as specified in setup_a.ini.

So I'd suggest you look on your QC server in this file (which is actually packed in a setup_a.cab) and check the details of every file listed against the set your installing from your .MSI.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I'd also suggest checking the ActiveX controls on the client machine. The little red cross in the top left corner of the browser is a known MS issue. There is a registry key that also needs to be updated - check this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/240897
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

This is one of the most annoying things about QC. HP should make the intallation of the client side as slick and easy as possible, and the sooner they sort it out the better.

At the moment I have had Network support grant me full admin rights and I have to visit each PC individually to install it, this is far from ideal and there's far more constructive activities I could use the time for!
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Did you resolve it?
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.