Highlighted
Visitor.

QC Sense for QC 10 and 11

What kind of overhead would it have on QC Server ?

I didn't find a good documentation that explains its capability, do you have any ?

Would you recommend this for QC monitoring purposes ?

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Have you looked through Chapter 10 in the HP ALM Administrator Guide?  It describes what QC Sense can do, here are some of the key items:

Client Operation

Contains raw data for user operations, such as submitting a defect, updating a requirement, or clicking the Login button.

Client Method Call

Contains raw data for ALM client methods monitored by QC Sense.

Client Request

Raw data for requests sent by a client operation to the ALM Platform server.

Server General

Aggregated data based on several server measures

Server Thread Type

Aggregated data on threads running on the server

Server Thread

Raw data for each thread run on the server

Server SQL

Raw data for each SQL statement run by the ALM Platform server

Mainly it's about providing diagnostic information so administrators can have more data to help resolve problems and to share with HP Support when troubleshooting something.  I'm not sure there is a large impact to the server overhead and depending on the type of monitoring you are doing this could be used for some of that.

We will build out more capabilities with QC Sense for future releases so that it could be your primary tool for monitoring the ALM/QC application performance.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

How about getting it to work in QC 10 before adding any new features.

Running QC Sense puts so much stress on the server that over a period of minutes - it pulls the server down to a crawl and users can't even log in. Not to mention it doesn't provide ANY information in the reports (they are blank).

I  have disabled QC Sense until HP resolves the issue. The concept is there, but the functionality is lacking.

I am not raising a service support ticket as there are so many users in the forums that have the same issue I do, I figured HP Engineers would take note and fix them before the next patch.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

For what it's worse, we have successfully enabled full QC Sense (ALL transactions are logged and saved) on our ALM 11 patch 7, and then again patch 12 for a 1 week period. Those systems are very loaded (2 to 3,000 concurrent users). There was an impact which we estimated around 7% perf hit, but we have not witnessed the slowness which is reported here.

Plus, the insights we got have been really great for us. QC Sense is activated constantly, with only the basic server monitoring and specific user monitoring, on request.

--
Forj: continuous integration & delivery for the masses
http://www.hp.com/go/forj
Do not hesitate to mark a question as closed if you think you have all you need (Kudos do help too 🙂 )
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.