New Ranks & Badges For The Community!
Notice something different? The ranks and associated badges have gone "Star Fleet". See what they all mean HERE
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

QC to ALM Migration: Version control issues

Seems like contractor working on projects upgrade failed to check-in records before upgrading couple projects from QC10 to ALM 11.52

He is not with the team anymore so we dont know if he checked everything in before upgrade or if ALM alerted him with some entities checked out

Seems like lots of BPTs were checked out when we migrated because as soon as we enabled versioning in ALM 11.52 lots of users are having issues with their BPTs/Components. They are seeing entities already checked out that they are not able to check back in, and version history is showing dates when project was in QC. When users try to checkout something they can checkout but not check back in ...

This is high priority item for us; can someone suggest how to proceed with this? We are going to open a case with HP as well but thought to check forums maybe someone has encountered this before.

Thanks!

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Admiral
Admiral

A project admin should be able to "undo checkout" for those checked out items.

[I learned most of what I know from both the ALM User Guides and practical use of the tool.  If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and/or give kudos to the author for their assistance. Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer. No warranties expressed or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.]

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Hi,

Migration Performer might have executed Installation Qualification Scripts while Migrating/Upgrading projects. 

It is worth taking a look at the approach followed by the Migrator in those IQ's to determine whether he checked In all the entities before proceeding with upgrade in ALM 11.52. 

Approach mentioned by you looks like the below: 

Disable Versioning on QC 10 project -> Upgrade project from QC 10 to ALM 11.52 -> Enable Versioning of the same project in ALM 11.52

For the Version enabled QC 10 projects migration & upgrade 

We followed below approach: 

• Undo Checkout all the entity's from front end of QC 10 project.
  • Diable QC 10 project and Perform DB restore and copy project repository to ALM 11.52.
  • Run SQL verification script on all VC tables of the restored ALM 11.52 project db to see if there are any left over orphan records.
  • If yes provide proper justification and Delete the orphan records from restored ALM 11.52 project db. Upon confirming that all the VC tables are empty in restored ALM 11.52 project db, Verification/Repair/Upgrade is Ran and it's mostly successful.

No where we have Disabled and Enabled Versioning from Site Administration, may be thats the cause of your issue.

Please try Creating a copy of this newly upgraded/complaint Version Enabled project, Run Repair and see whether it fixes the issue on the Cloned/Backup project.

Also you mentioned that users are able to Check Out and Unable to Check In , this indicates that there is an Un SYNC of VC data in Entity table [Entity_VC_Status] field and VC_Entity table and VER_CTL table.

When User Checkout/Checkin any entity above three tables will be updated and affected.

In the cloned project try fixing the Data in these 3 tables and see whether that fixes your issue. 

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Srihari

Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Is it safe to run a script to clear out data in the version control tables for the Checked Out entries in the database itself (in case not successfully cleared out by the 'Undo Check Out' utility)? I.e. do it quickly with no human errors via a script, in the source QC10, before migrating over to ALM 11.52.  This will have a higher chance of a successful Verify (without needing to run Repair, or needing to manually delete data, project by project, at the destination 11.52).

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.