New Ranks & Badges For The Community!
Notice something different? The ranks and associated badges have gone "Star Fleet". See what they all mean HERE
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

QTP Shutting down/crashing in the middle of test runs?

Jump to solution
Just wondering if anyone else out there encounters this problem because it's really starting to slow down my ability to use this tool in an effective way.

I record several hundred lines.

I edit them as necessary for them to work.

I run the test, and it goes through.

Then QTP just disappears, completely gone, process QTPro.exe is gone, taskbar is wiped of the QuickTest icon, poof. My only suspect is that possibly I'm running out of memory because the system I run requires enormous amounts of memory (I'm talking 2-3gigabytes) and with QTP running as well I'm reaching the limit to my computers capacity.

Is anyone else encountering this anomaly and if so are there any other solutions besides "get windows vista 64, get more ram, and thus solve memory problem?" since I work at a standardized company, and all machines run on the same OS/mirror, and simply asking for vista 64 isn't going to fly.

Thanks!
John
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..
If its QTP, there is patch available for preventing QTP crashes.

HP QuickTest Professional 10.00 Patch QTP_00604 Readme File
15 June 2009

QTP_00604 Prevent QuickTest Crash Due to Corruption of Internal Configuration File.

This patch fixes (and prevents) a corruption in an internal configuration file that would cause QuickTest to crash unexpectedly...

Whats your OS?

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member..
If its QTP, there is patch available for preventing QTP crashes.

HP QuickTest Professional 10.00 Patch QTP_00604 Readme File
15 June 2009

QTP_00604 Prevent QuickTest Crash Due to Corruption of Internal Configuration File.

This patch fixes (and prevents) a corruption in an internal configuration file that would cause QuickTest to crash unexpectedly...

Whats your OS?

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Windows XP Professional.

And will patching prevent me from using my older Tests? if not I'll gladly patch to prevent these errors in the future.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
No, Any patch should not or atleast not supposed to break your exsisting scripts.

Patches are nothing but to fix the defects in the product itself.
There is no such problem without a solution, All you have to do is find the solution.
Highlighted
Absent Member..
Pacthes are enhancements or bug fixes to existing product.

It does make some changes to environment, but is should not affect your existing scripts.

You can go through "patch read me", it has all the details....what changes are done after installing the patch.
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
John,
Please refer to KM747306 for more details regarding patch QTP_00604. You can use the below link but you need HP passport login.

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM747306

Thanks..
Arpan
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
I am doing a short term test 24/7. I had memory problems which QTP is famous for.
I wrote a vbscript to loop based on time every 3 minutes. You need to call QTP and exit on each iteration. The following will give you and idea of how to accomplish this. The 'DeleteQTPProcess' that I wrote, will kill the two QTP processes if they are running, upon the initiation of QTP in this loop. The JDsleep, is just a sleep routine.

do while(1)
DeleteQTPProcess()
JDsleep 2, 1

app = ""

Set App = CreateObject("QuickTest.Application")

App.Launch

App.Visible = false

App.Options.Run.RunMode = "Fast"
App.Options.Run.CaptureForTestResults = "OnError"

Set qtResultsObj = CreateObject("QuickTest.RunResultsOptions")

' Loop through all the tests in the testArray.

' Open the test in QuickTest Professional.
App.Open testname, True

' Get the test object.
Set qtTest = App.Test

' Set the test results options. Here the location for the test results will be set.
qtResultsObj.ResultsLocation = testname & "\Res1" ' Set the results location

'Execute the test. Instruct QuickTest Professional to wait for the test to finish executing.
' This statement specifies a test results location.
qtTest.Run qtResultsObj, True

' Close the test.
qtTest.Close 'Close the test

' Close QuickTest Professional.
App.Quit

' Release the created objects.
set qtResultsObj = nothing
set qtTest = nothing

JDSleep 45, 1 'Wait to kill the QTP processes
set App = nothing

JDSleep 45, 2

WriteLastRun()

DeleteQTPProcess()

loop
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.