New Ranks & Badges For The Community!
Notice something different? The ranks and associated badges have gone "Star Fleet". See what they all mean HERE
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

QTP unable to recognize the objects in an application built in VB and DHTML .

Jump to solution
The application which I want to test is in VB and DHTML .It makes use of ActiveX components as well.

So when i select the active X , web , VB addin for QTP and try to record the clicks , its unable to recognize the objects . I opened a case for the same but I was informed that due to the ActiveX component in the application the object spy recognizes every thing as a VBwindow [ as shown in attachment] .
The support person asked me to use SendKeys and Device Replay feature , but they just simulate the key strokes and mouse gestures.
Even with that its not posible to select values in a list box [ combo box ] as the value need to be selected depending on the entries in the datatable.
So my questions are
1. there no way we can test such application?
2.When is active X plugin in QTP actually helpful ?
3.Can any one suggest me what can be done in this case?
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
I have tested an application developed in ActiveX and Web.. this application was actually web embedded in explorer. I am unable to see the attachment for some reason.. however there is one thing I would like you to try... not sure if it would work ...
go to Tools->Options->Web->Advanced. Under Run settings, check the option for "Enable web support for microsoft windows explorer".

- Reju -

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
I have tested an application developed in ActiveX and Web.. this application was actually web embedded in explorer. I am unable to see the attachment for some reason.. however there is one thing I would like you to try... not sure if it would work ...
go to Tools->Options->Web->Advanced. Under Run settings, check the option for "Enable web support for microsoft windows explorer".

- Reju -

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Had a simular issue with our app. Got around it by adding the exe to the application list

1. Select Automation/Record and Run settings
2. Select Windows Tab
3. Select Record and Run on:
4. Check Application Specified Below
5. Select + and browse to your app.

Also change the default Object Identification for XObjects

1. Tools/Object ID
2. Environment = Active X
3. Change progid to Nativeclass
4. Change Ord Identifier to Index
0 Likes
Highlighted
Captain Captain
Captain
Nikhil-
It sounds like this is a web application, true? This might be pretty basic but since you leave out some details I would have to ask which Browser you are using and are you bringing up the browser prior to opening QTP? The rule is for any web application that QTP has to be up and running prior to opening the browser as QTP can not establish hooks to "listen" into an already open browser. QTP does pretty well with VB and Active X but everything is dependent on how the application is designed, how much customization was used and how the objects are accessed within the HTML code - if there are Java applets for example, you may have a problem without the Java add-in. Point is, unless your developed "exposed" the development environment to the OS , QTP isn't going to see the objects. But try the first suggestion as it may be that simple.

Dave - what you did in the Record and Run Settings is merely limiting what QTP will pay attention to - it is not telling anything other than that and so if there are object recognition issues that won't help. It may help only if you have selected the option to also initiate the application if it is a web application because of the prior info above.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Well I tried everything body's suggestion , but still the same problem .
I guess I will have to get with the developer some how and get to know how the objects are customized.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Well thank you guys for the help. I am closing the thread.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Thank You
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.