ALERT! The community will be read-only starting on April 19, 8am Pacific as the migration begins. Read more for important details.
ALERT! The community will be read-only starting on April 19, 8am Pacific as the migration begins.Read more for important details.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Quality Center 10 to QC11

We are on QC 10 patch 10.  Do I install QC11 over the QC10 install?  In other words, does QC11 install upgrade a QC10 install?

0 Likes
14 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We do not support 2 or more QC installations in the same server.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I'm not looking to have 2 installations.  I'm looking to upgrade QC10 to QC11.  Does the QC11 setup.exe upgrade/overlay/replace the QC10 install?

0 Likes
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

There are a few different ways to migrate from QC 10 to 11.  Generally customers either install QC 11 on another server and migrate projects from one QC instance to another or uninstalled QC 10 and install QC 11.

Please reference section 1 'Before You Install' on of the ALM 11 install manual (link provided below) for the different ways to migrate and the steps to complete the migration.

ALM 11 installation manual

ALM Upgrade Best Practice

0 Likes
Absent Member..

ALM and QC 11 are both new installs and not patches on top of QC 10.  This is the same type of process that one had to perform for QC 10 when upgrading from QC 9.0 or QC 9.2.  There is a webinar that talks about this process as well as some documentation around the steps needed on the HP Software Support site.  Additionally, HP PSO can help scope out the activities with you.

0 Likes
Absent Member..

QC 11 does not overlay an existing QC 10 installation.  If you are upgrading the exising QC 10 installation, please uninstall QC 10 then install QC 11.  In the previous post I provided documents with steps on how to accomplish this.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for the pdf's.  I'm looking at "hp_man_ALM11.00_Installation_pdf.pdf" page 51.  Specifically, it shows "From version Quality Center 10" to "To Quality Center 11.00" step 1 "The installation process updates your schema."  Seems like QC11 install overlays the QC10 install thereby updating the schema.  Right?  Schema is the admin database (qcsiteadmin_db), right?

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

You can't install a different version of QC over an existing, you have to install it completely. That said, make sure you follow the procdure for uninstall. Uninstall patches in reverse order, then the core product. For example, lets say you have installed QC, then Patch 10, then Patch 19, where you're currently on Patch 19. The procedure is as follows...

1) Uninstall Patch 19

2) Uninstall Patch 10

3) Uninstall the QC core product

Best practice is to bounce the server after the aforemented is complete.

At this point install the new version; QC 11.

Bare in mind that uninstalling a patch or the core product does not delete the project databases or project file repositories. These are left intact and its important that you do not delete them.

Phil Trostel
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

OK, so uninstalling QC10 leaves the DB's and repositories intact.  Then when I install QC11, does it "connect" to my existing QC10 admin database (qcsiteadmin_db) which is still in a QC10 "format/status" and does it convert it to QC11 "format/status"?  If so, I think I get it.  Once QC11 installed, QC11 admin database upgraded then I can being the process of verifying and upgrading each existing QC 10 project, right?  This way, I don't have to mess with the dbid.xml; or move the repository from server/directory to another server/directory; I don't have to mess with user rights, etc.  Right?  Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Absent Member..

During the install process of QC v11 you will see a screen asking if you want to install a new blank site admin db schema, upgrade in place the pre-existing QC v10 site admin db schema, or upgrade a copy of the pre-existing QC v10 site admin db schema.  If you elect to upgrade a copy, a copy of the QC v11 site admin database will be created and upgraded to v11 schema.  If you choose the upgrade in place process, then the pre-existing QC v10 site admin datbase will be updated in place to the v11 schema.

[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

(Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.)
0 Likes
Commander
Commander

Good afternoon, I'm doing that I come from speaking desistale "QC 10" and then install "QC11" but when I update the schema of the database I get an error message "Failed to validate the parameters of the database ".

correguir this error as I can, attached image.

0 Likes
Commander
Commander

Good afternoon, I'm doing that I come from speaking desistale "QC 10" and then install "QC11" but when I update the schema of the database I get an error message "Failed to validate the parameters of the database ".

correguir this error as I can, attached image.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.