Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Quality Center Excel Reporting Hangs

Jump to solution
Hello.

I have an Excel Report with 3 SQL-Queries and a substantial Post-Processing part.

Executing just the Queries without Post-Processing (and generating an Excel-Document) works.

However, with post-processing the excel sheet is generated (albeit hidden, unless shown with "Application.Visible = true" in code), but the Progress-Indicator of QC never disappears and I cannot return to Quality Center.

The following confuses me:

1. The post-processing has finished successfully. (I can check that by adding a Pop-Up via "MsgBox 'Done'" at the end of the code.

2. The post-processing works and returns fine if I generate the report without checking "run post-processing" and then paste the code manually into Excel's VB-Editor and run it.

3. Other reports (some with much longer post-processing code) run fine.

My questions are:

- Did any of you ever encounter such behavior? And if yes: What did you do to solve the problem?

- How go I about finding the error (logic tells me it has to do with my post-processing code), if it runs just fine?

Any help is *VERY* appreciated.

Regards,
Lukas
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
I have seen issues like this and, in my case anyways, there were a couple of common causes:
1) I had an instance of Excel open before I ran the Excel Report. Solution: close all instances of Excel prior to running the Excel Report.
2) My post-processing script had pop-up dialogs. In my case I needed to capture some data from the user prior to doing the processing. I was finding that most of the time the Excel Report would appear to hang any time a pop-up dialog would appear - in fact, the pop-up was coming up behind the QC window, and I had to minimize all windows and maximize the new Excel instance to see my pop-up - still, most of the time, even after doing that the Excel Report would hang. Solution: I used parameters from the Excel Report instead of pop-up dialogs.
3) Post-processing bug: I have sometimes seen Excel Reports hang due to this, but also seen the Excel instance show up on the taskbar. In these cases if I activated the Excel window I would see a debug error from VBA (the same type of error if I ran the macro locally).

I hope some of this might be a help.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
I have seen issues like this and, in my case anyways, there were a couple of common causes:
1) I had an instance of Excel open before I ran the Excel Report. Solution: close all instances of Excel prior to running the Excel Report.
2) My post-processing script had pop-up dialogs. In my case I needed to capture some data from the user prior to doing the processing. I was finding that most of the time the Excel Report would appear to hang any time a pop-up dialog would appear - in fact, the pop-up was coming up behind the QC window, and I had to minimize all windows and maximize the new Excel instance to see my pop-up - still, most of the time, even after doing that the Excel Report would hang. Solution: I used parameters from the Excel Report instead of pop-up dialogs.
3) Post-processing bug: I have sometimes seen Excel Reports hang due to this, but also seen the Excel instance show up on the taskbar. In these cases if I activated the Excel window I would see a debug error from VBA (the same type of error if I ran the macro locally).

I hope some of this might be a help.

View solution in original post

Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Hi Warren,

thank you for your reply. I double checked at the points you have mentioned and while doing so I discovered a tiny thing that struck me as potentially bad.

The thin was that I named a Variable "Date". So when I assigned "Date = someCellValue" it, pardon my language, screwed up the processing somehow.

Still, it worked without error if I only ran it in Excel, so I guess we'll never know the whole truth.

So my advice: Always make sure your Variable names are not keywords.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
I have experienced this as well and none of the above mentioned issues seem to apply to my situation.

I have an Excel Report with 5 queries and a substantial amount of post-processing as well. However, the data set that I pull back varies depending on a user entered global parameter I've added to the report. In the instances where the data set is small the report runs beautifully. When the data set is large I run into issues. I can hit the stop button on the progress bar, but the browser continues to hang and I cannot return to QC. When I go to end the program I get the message that Quality Center is waiting on a response from me, but there is no pop-up or anything that I can click on. I do not have a pop-up blocker.

The other thing that really throws me on this one is that the behavior is consistent on a machine, but not consistent from machine to machine. For example, I can run the report for a data set and have it hang every time. I can also go to another computer in my office and run it successfully with the same data set every time. I'm found a mix a machines that work and some that don't. There doesn't appear to be any obvious patterns either. Some laptops work, some don't. Some desktops work, some don't. RAM and processor speeds should all be more than adequate and all machines are HP brand.

I observed this behavior in QC 9.2 and we just recently upgraded to QC 10.0 Enterprise Edition and continue to experience it.
0 Likes
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

I am seeing this same issue.

My Excel report hangs because I get an excel compatibility pop up which I can only find if I navigate to it using alt+tab.

Other times I cannot find the pop up at all and I have to close out QC and try again from scratch.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Try this (It worked for me). Change the compatibility mode for Excel. Windows 7, Office 10. In Compatibility mode enable Run this program in compatibility mode for: and select Windows XP (Service Pack 3). Windows 8.1 Office 10. In Compatibility mode enable Run this program in compatibility mode for: and select Windows 7. Windows 8.1 Office 2013 In Compatibility mode enable Run this program in compatibility mode for: and select Windows XP (Service Pack 3).
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.