Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

Questions about baselines

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have some questions regarding the baselines and i was wondering if someone had any intel on it.

• Will it be possible to view the content of a baseline without comparing it to the current project. It could be something like navigating through baselines directly in the Requirement or Test plan module
  • Will it be possible to revert back the requirements or tests to a previous baselines ?
  • I would like to set a baseline using VBScript but i cannot find any callback or actions. Do you know if those exists ?

Thank you in advance for your responses,

Best regards.

Cédric Mabileau.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.. Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

As for the question of "Will it be possible to revert back the requirements or tests to a previous baselines ?"

Technically, no, not with baselines. 

Maybe what you mean is reverting back to an older version of an asset (req/test/component/resource).  Note that baselines and versions are different.  Versions are a derivative of an entity or asset while baselines are really just snapshot of versions.  You can also have one without the other.

As long as you are taking versions of an asset, you should be able to revert an entity back to an older version.  But if you are only taking baselines you cannot revert back to an older baseline.  The tool  doesn't allow for it.  You could only synchronize libraries, not baselines. 

Now, how to do it, how to revert back to a previous version .... so let's say you have Version Control turned on.  And you have Req1 versions 1 and 2.  You check out Req1 again and change the Designer.  After that you check it back in.  So now there is version 3 of Req1 with a different Designer.  You realized that the Designer should not have changed so you want to revert back to an older version.  You could check out version 1 and check that back in again, for another version 4.  It would have the original value of Designer.  BUT... here's the tricky part.  Keep in mind that you pulled out version 1, so as to have the original value of the Designer, but there was also a version 2.  And changes in version 2 would not have been in version 1 that you pulled.  Get it?  You could have pulled version 2 instead if you know that there are changes in v2 that you wanted carried over.  Anyhow, the important thing to note is when you choose to "revert", you must know what you are reverting to and from.  There could be many fields affected/changed in each version, and it's easy to overlook that part.

If you are going to do it, it's very important to have a really good understanding of how version control works.  And in combination with libraries and baselines, it could really work.  But it is just a very delicate matter.  I would handle it with utmost care.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello Cedric,

Please see the response to your questions below,

1-Will it be possible to view the content of a baseline without comparing it to the current project? It could be something like navigating through baselines directly in the Requirement or Test plan module

No that is impossible for the moment; you can submit an enhancement request.

2-Will it be possible to revert back the requirements or tests to a previous baselines?

This is not possible as well; an ER can be submitted for future versions of the application

3-I would like to set a baseline using VBScript but i cannot find any callback or actions. Do you know if those exist?

What you can use is the OTA Guide: Use the Quality Center user interface to manage libraries. Unfortunately this kind of process is not supported

Regards

Highlighted

Hello... actually it is possible to view the baseline.. if you mean, you want to look at the state of a requirement of a specific baseline.  You need to go to the History tab (from the Details window) and then go to the 'Baseline' tab.  Choose the baseline you want to inspect and then click the "View" button.

Of course it is always easier to use the Compare Tool because it pinpoints exactly what are the differences.

Compare Baselines - tells you which req, test, or components have been added, removed or modified

Compare Entities - tells you exactly which fields were modified

Compare Libraries - tells you the differences between shared libraries

Highlighted

As for the question of "Will it be possible to revert back the requirements or tests to a previous baselines ?"

Technically, no, not with baselines. 

Maybe what you mean is reverting back to an older version of an asset (req/test/component/resource).  Note that baselines and versions are different.  Versions are a derivative of an entity or asset while baselines are really just snapshot of versions.  You can also have one without the other.

As long as you are taking versions of an asset, you should be able to revert an entity back to an older version.  But if you are only taking baselines you cannot revert back to an older baseline.  The tool  doesn't allow for it.  You could only synchronize libraries, not baselines. 

Now, how to do it, how to revert back to a previous version .... so let's say you have Version Control turned on.  And you have Req1 versions 1 and 2.  You check out Req1 again and change the Designer.  After that you check it back in.  So now there is version 3 of Req1 with a different Designer.  You realized that the Designer should not have changed so you want to revert back to an older version.  You could check out version 1 and check that back in again, for another version 4.  It would have the original value of Designer.  BUT... here's the tricky part.  Keep in mind that you pulled out version 1, so as to have the original value of the Designer, but there was also a version 2.  And changes in version 2 would not have been in version 1 that you pulled.  Get it?  You could have pulled version 2 instead if you know that there are changes in v2 that you wanted carried over.  Anyhow, the important thing to note is when you choose to "revert", you must know what you are reverting to and from.  There could be many fields affected/changed in each version, and it's easy to overlook that part.

If you are going to do it, it's very important to have a really good understanding of how version control works.  And in combination with libraries and baselines, it could really work.  But it is just a very delicate matter.  I would handle it with utmost care.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

And lastly for the question of "I would like to set a baseline using VBScript but i cannot find any callback or actions. Do you know if those exists ?"

My opinion is... considering how very intricate the libraries, baselines and versions are and the interplay within them, it shouldn't be anything to be coded for.  Automation is for when you have repeatable, consistent and predictable results such as when you are regression testing.  I mean perhaps you could still do it... but personally, I wouldn't go there.

Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

Hello Suese and Sheyenne,

Thanks a ot for your responses. I will log the QCCR with HP Support.

Best regards,

Cédric Mabileau.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.