Highlighted
New Member..
New Member..

Upgrade from QC 10 to QC 12 on Windows Server 12 and SQL Server 12

We are currently running Quality Center on Windows Server 2003 and SQL Server 2008 R2.

We would like to upgrade to a new server running Windows Server 2012 and SQL Server 2012.

Is there a way to perform the QC upgrade (10 -> 11.52 -> 12)  without having to perform OS and SQL Server upgrades as part of the process?

I have gotten the installation of 11.52 on Windows Server 2012 and SQL Server 2012 partially completed using the following settings in the run_after_finish.bat file:

set SKIP_VALIDATIONS=-wOsValidator -wDbSettingsValidator -wSaSchemaValidator wSiteAdminUserValidator -wLicenseTypeValidator

However, I encounter the following error at the finish:

Failed to create LAB_PROJECT:
com.hp.alm.platform.exception.CTdException: DB server 'ics-alm-prd' is of unsupported version;
Database minimal supported version is MSSQL 2005 server
at com.hp.alm.platform.siteadmin.api.logics.CProjectLogic.assertDbVersionSupported(CProjectLogic.java:6811)
at com.hp.alm.platform.siteadmin.api.logics.CProjectLogic.createProject(CProjectLogic.java:2575)
 wrapped in com.hp.alm.platform.exception.CTdException: Failed to create HP ALM project
at com.hp.alm.platform.siteadmin.api.logics.CProjectLogic.createProject(CProjectLogic.java:2711)
at com.hp.alm.platform.siteadmin.api.logics.CProjectLogic.createProject(CProjectLogic.java:2393)
at com.hp.alm.platform.siteadmin.api.logics.ProjectLogicHelper.createProject(ProjectLogicHelper.java:138)
at com.hp.alm.platform.maintenance.standalone.StandaloneMaintenanceLogic.createProject(StandaloneMaintenanceLogic.java:292)
at com.hp.alm.platform.maintenance.standalone.StandaloneMaintenanceLogic.createProject(StandaloneMaintenanceLogic.java:264)
at com.hp.alm.lab.install.LabInstaller.create(LabInstaller.java:29)
at com.hp.qc.install.setup.QcConfigWorkerTask$11.run(QcConfigWorkerTask.java:409)
at com.hp.qc.install.setup.AbstractWorkerTask$ActualTask.<init>(AbstractWorkerTask.java:138)
at com.hp.qc.install.setup.AbstractWorkerTask$2.construct(AbstractWorkerTask.java:76)
at com.hp.qc.install.setup.SwingWorker$2.run(SwingWorker.java:114)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

Thanks for your assistance.

0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Dear dlgutz

I hope you are doing great.

Let me inform you that it is no possible, you will need to upgarde the DB and the OS.

The issue indicates that Database minimal supported version is MSSQL 2005 server, this is because ALM 11.52 does not support SQL 2012. As you can confirm in the following link of the Technical Specifications: https://hpln.hp.com/page/alm-qc-enterprise-technical-specifications

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Krystal Mata U.
HP QC/ALM Support Team

(If this post or any other post helps to resolve your issue or query, please mark the thread as solved)

(Posts and opinions made here are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my employer HP in any way)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Hi dlgutz,

The recommendation on this scenario would be to

Upgrade SQL Server 2008 R2 being on QC 10, then upgrade to  ALM 11.52 

Once you are  on ALM  11.52 upgrade to SQL server 2012

and finally  upgrade to ALM 12

in order to go through the Configuration Wizard:

To disable configuration validators and rerun the ALM Server Configuration

Wizard:

1 In the ALM installation directory, locate the run_after_finish.bat file

(Windows) or the run_after_install.sh (Linux/Oracle Solaris) file. The

purpose of these files is to start the ALM Server Configuration Wizard.

2 In the installation directory, create a copy of the file. Make sure to save

the copy using a different name, for example:

run_after_finish_skip_validation.bat

3 Edit the new file by adding skip validation flags as required. The file itself

contains instructions how to add the flags.

4 Save and then execute the new file.

set SKIP_VALIDATIONS=-wOsValidator -wLicenseTypeValidator

Regards.

0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member..
New Member..

So I could perform the upgrade in the following manner:

Current environment:

Server: Windows Server 2003

Database: SQL Server 2008 R2

Application: QC 10

Interim environment:

Server: Windows Server 2008 R2

Application: QC 11.52

End environment:

Server: Windows Server 2012

Database: SQL Server 2012

Application: QC 12

With each of these environments set up separately, I could then migrate projects from one at a time from the current environment into the interim environment and from there migrate to the end environment

Once all projects have been migrated, I could then remove the current environment and interim environment.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

yes you are correct but  we can  use Windows server 2012 from ALM 11.52

Interim environment:

Server: Windows Server 2012 R2

Application: QC 11.52

regards 

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.