<(ALM) Support Tip> "Specified cast is not valid" error in ALM client
ALM user can login and view all entities inside ALM but gets error “Specified cast is not valid” when performing tasks like editing/creating new test/defect/requirement
We have a KB which talks about this issue - https://softwaresupport.hp.com/group/softwaresupport/search-result/-/facetsearch/document/KM00463358
If the steps mentioned in the KB doesn’t help solve the error, workflow needs to be checked to solve the error.
Here are the steps to follow
1. Download debugview from Microsoft site - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb896647.aspx
2. Run debugview in the background with a filter “workflow”. This will capture workflow related activity happening in ALM when the error occurs
3. Debugview tool will mostly help to narrow down on the sub-routine in which the workflow has issue.
4. If the issue is faced on a project that was upgraded from a lower version of ALM/QC, it would be mostly due to the old workflow code that was used in old versions of QC which might not work with newer version of ALM.
5. Once the sub-routine is found, each workflow code inside the sub-routine can be commented out to find out which code exactly is causing the issue.
When your problem has been solved, accept the solution by clicking the "Accept as Solution" button to help other members in the future!