New Ranks & Badges For The Community!
Notice something different? The ranks and associated badges have gone "Star Fleet". See what they all mean HERE
Highlighted
Captain
Captain

to much full licenses in use

Jump to solution

We have 5 full licenses and 51 additional defect licenses for HP QC 12.53.
When watching the 'Site Connections' tab in 'SiteAdmin' I can see the following:
On day 1 user 'x' has an additional defects license in use and no full license in use (that's ok according to our 'Module access' settings and the group memberships of user 'x').
On day 2 user 'x' has a full license in use (and no additional defects license in use)
On day 3 user 'x' has an additional defects license in use and no full license in use (as on day 1).
We don't understand this behaviour of the system. We did not change any settings !! User 'x' is not the only one who causes this strange behavior. The problem is: sometimes 5 users have a full license in use and the administrator (that's me) cannot login to other modules !! Can please someone help me to solve this issue?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

I'm assuming that when user x logged in on day 2 that all the Defect licenses were already in use so it grabbed a Full License.

at least that's how I see it happen in 12.01 that i'm using.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

I'm assuming that when user x logged in on day 2 that all the Defect licenses were already in use so it grabbed a Full License.

at least that's how I see it happen in 12.01 that i'm using.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Captain
Captain

Thank you for your prompt reply.
That has been my assumption also, thank you for verifying my assumption!
Grabbing a full license instead of a Defect license hopefully doesn't mean that there is a security leak in AP ALM. In other words: does the grabbed full license enable user 'x'  to get access to modules where he has no access according to the 'Module access' tab? Hopefully it will not, but I still did not have the oppurtunity to contact user 'x' when he is using a full license. What are your observations about this issue in version 12.01?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

What the user has access to is totally dependent on the Security Role they are assigned to in the specific project they log into and not the license.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Admiral
Admiral

Please check the projects module access , see which groups are assigned just to one module that has an additional license and which other are enable to see all modules. Module access can controll how the licenses are also distributed.

Cordially

"HP Support
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution"
0 Likes
Highlighted
Captain
Captain

Here is the official answer given to me by HP support:

That process happened because QC users Defect Licenses when a user is part of a group which has access only to the Defect module.
- If a user has access to more than the defect module then a full license will be used;
- If all of the Defect licenses are being used a user that needs only a Defect license should take a full license;
- If all Full licenses are in use a user that has access to more than the Defect module they should not be allowed to enter.
In your case that’s happened because when all defect licenses in use, after full licenses are starting to use.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.