Chrome Extension for NAM Desktop Users
NAM 4.2 provides an end-user portal. Users can access this portal and get SSO to applications listed in the portal or access the application URLs. If users access protected resources directly, as before NAM 4.2, they have to book mark all protected resources. If there are any changes to those protected resources or federation links or web URLs, they have to update them manually. Help desk and support people access multiple applications, so convenience of access is one of the main benefits of the NAM portal.
This Chrome Extension will make the portal even more convenient, and provides ease of access to the end user portal managed by NAM system admin based on NIDP Roles.
IDP initiated federation links or SP initiated federation URLs, protected resources, and any web URLs can be distributed to end users via the portal. The Chrome plugin adds value by providing easy one-click access to all these applications. Logout to the system is easy even if user closes the browser.
End user access protected resource. In this process, users will be authenticated to the NAM system. Once a user authenticated session is created, the user can access other applications based on his/her NIDP Roles.
Users can download this attached Chrome Extension and install into a Chrome browser, NAM portal is one click away for the user. This Extension will make use of the Current browser logged in session and identifies NAM IDP domain automatically. Self-learning NIDP domain will help users by switching over to right user portal, who have multiple cluster access or any staging or production environment access.
Chrome extension installation steps:
- Open Chrome browser by clicking the chrome menu icon and select Tools and Extensions.
- Download the chrome extension NAM_UserPortal_extension.crx. If this file is hosted on a server for download, open Firefox or IE and enter the URL for the chrome extension download to desktop. Chrome only allows extensions to download from webstore, because of this reason it has to be downloaded from other browser.
- Drag this downloaded extension file to the extensions window in Chrome.
- A dialog box appears, Click Add
- On Successful install you should see the NAM Portal extension in the list
- Do authentication to NAM IDP, if user session exists on Chrome browser, logout and login again, this will allow the plugin to identify the NAM IDP domain. It won’t read user credentials, it identifies NAM authentication domain and cache to local storage of plugin.
- Click on the plugin, it should show the configured AppMarks based on the user’s NIDP roles. These appmarks are configured NAM admin based NIDP roles.
NAM admin should check the NAM 4.2 documentation on how to configure the end user portal with AppMarks. AppMarks includes federation SSO links, protected resources, WebURLs. In the future few more SSO urls and whatever comes with NAM new releases can be added.