moldin Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Links in Microsoft Documents and SSO

Access to our intranet is authenticated through Access Manager with Kerberos SSO and it works fine.

BUT, if we place a link (to the intranet) in a Microsoft Document and users click on it SSO is not working and they are asked for credentials.

Why is that?
How can I prevent this?
0 Likes
7 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Links in Microsoft Documents and SSO

On 01-02-2019 7:04 PM, moldin wrote:
>
> Access to our intranet is authenticated through Access Manager with
> Kerberos SSO and it works fine.
>
> BUT, if we place a link (to the intranet) in a Microsoft Document and
> users click on it SSO is not working and they are asked for
> credentials.
>
> Why is that?
> How can I prevent this?
>
>

When a user clicks on the link, does it open a browser?

--
Cheers,
Edward
0 Likes
moldin Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yes, the default browser opens but instead of performing SSO access manager asks for credentials.

I have tried setting different default browsers - same result.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

On 02-02-2019 5:04 PM, moldin wrote:
>
> Yes, the default browser opens but instead of performing SSO access
> manager asks for credentials.
>
> I have tried setting different default browsers - same result.
>
>

What is your default contract set to?

--
Cheers,
Edward
0 Likes
moldin Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Default contract is Kerberos
0 Likes
slongholio Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I just, this minute, finished a kerberos configuration.

Does this have any affect? Weird thing was, I'm not outside the firewall, but had to do that anyway to make it work.

(Conditional) Users who are outside the firewall cannot use Kerberos. SPNEGO by default first uses NTLM, then to HTTPS basic authentication. Access Manager does not support NTLM, so the NTLM prompt for username and password fails. The user is then prompted for a username and password for HTTPS basic authentication, which succeeds if the credentials are valid.

To avoid these prompts, you can have your users enable the Automatic logon with current user name and password option in Internet Explorer 7.x. To access this option, click Tools >Internet Options >Security >Custom Level, then scroll down to User Authentication.

Reference: https://www.netiq.com/documentation/access-manager-44/admin/data/b9uctt5.html#b9uf05h
0 Likes
moldin Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you for your suggestion.
Security settings for IE 11 in our organization is GPO controlled which makes it a bit difficult for me to change them. But I will try to have them create a test GPO for me.

Also, how would changing security for IE make it work in Firefox or Chrome?
0 Likes
slongholio Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Firefox and Chrome are the other <conditional> items in the doc link posted above.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.