AppManager and easy customization together produce PostgreSQL monitoring

AppManager and easy customization together produce PostgreSQL monitoring

I would like to explain in my post about the power of easy customization using AppManager.

I was going through the list of applications which can be monitored by AppManager. Though the list is huge, I was disappointed to see that there is no monitoring available for PostgreSQL, so I decided to do something on my own. As AppManager is highly customizable I created a KS to monitor my PostgreSQL server using PGSQL, which is an open source ADO.NET Data Provider for PostgreSQL (http://www.npgsql.org/about.html).

Before you read further, you must install the package (Setup_Npgsql-2.2.0.0-Final-Release) given in zip file and restart the machine. This package is licensed under open source and a free distributable (http://www.npgsql.org/about.html). Also please make sure that you copy the PSQL.exe file into the "AppManager\bin" directory.

First, to monitor anything in AppManager, the associated resources have to be discovered so I created a discovery KS which will discover the Postgres database. The discovery KS requires the following input:

• PostgreSQL server address – hostname of PostgreSQL system

• User ID to connect with PG database – provides the user id

• Password – provide the user password

• Database Name – provide the DB name. Keep it by default Postgres

Before you run the discovery KS, please make sure that you have checked in the "PG.XML" file into QDB using typeutil. I check in this XML using the command "typeutil check-in localhost:QDB:: C:\pg.xml". My SQL is running using windows authentication.

Once the discovery is over you can see the name of the drivers in the tree view, and a new view name will be created as "PostgreSQL". Under the same view name, there will be a KS listed as "PostgreSQL_Health" which requires the following input parameters:

• PostgreSQL server address – hostname of PostgreSQL system

• User ID to connect with PG database – provides the user id

• Password – provide the user password

For each database, it collects metrics like exact rollback, deadlock, bulk read, and exact commits.

It also creates a data stream for each database using the same metrics.

I am attaching the tool so that it can be used. I hope this will help you to monitor the PostgreSQL environment using AppManager. Isn't it so easy without waiting for the NetIQ to support new module?

Happy Monitoring and Thanks for reading this!
Attachments

DISCLAIMER:

Some content on Community Tips & Information pages is not officially supported by Micro Focus. Please refer to our Terms of Use for more detail.
Top Contributors
Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎2016-02-02 03:42
Updated by:

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.