The Performance Testing team at Micro Focus is excited to introduce the newest version of our cloud-based performance testing solution - StormRunner Load (SRL) version 3.4. With this release, we significantly extend SRL’s hybrid cloud capabilities. Among the new capabilities in version 3.4 you will find:
- Load test with a dedicated virtual private cloud (VPC). This new solution makes the Micro Focus StormRunner Load (SRL) provided cloud load generators available to load test applications under tests (AUTs) that are not publicly available.
The affordability and scalability of SRL for load testing in the cloud is second to none. SRL provides a flexible pricing model together with an incredible elastic cloud platform that provisions and de-provisions hundreds of cloud load generators from multiple global regions, scaling to more than 5 million concurrent web virtual users. This is good when you are testing AUTs that are publicly available but let’s discuss what solutions can be applied when your applications are not publically available (for example, behind your firewall).
Starting with the conventional load testing approach to use in-house resources, you can deploy SRL’s on-premises load generators in your internal environment. The obvious downside here is the need to own and maintain an infrastructure, plus, your load scalability is dependent on the number of load generators you have available in your environment for a particular test.
Another very common solution is to use SRL’s dedicated IP Addresses that are assigned to your tenant. You can whitelist these IP Addresses in your network to allow in-bound traffic from these sources to your network. While this is a great solution, it is not always feasible.
In addition to the solutions mentioned above for testing AUTs that are not publicly available, there is the new capability in SRL 3.4: Load test with a dedicated VPC. It allows you to take full leverage of our great elastic cloud platform to test AUTs that are not publicly available. The dedicated VPC can be assigned to a particular SRL tenant to allow a secure network connection between the SRL cloud provided load generators and your AUTs that are hosted in your internal environment by using one of the following options:
- Connect to SRL dedicated VPC by using AWS Direct Connect if your AUTs are hosted in your on-premises environment
- Connect to SRL dedicated VPC by using AWS VPC Peering if your AUTs are hosted in AWS VPC
Additional connectivity options such as customer VPN can be established upon demand.The SRL Dedicated VPC option allows you to dynamically provision and de-provision dozens and hundreds of SRL cloud load generators in a single or multiple cloud regions to test AUTs in your internal environment. This solution is optional, and please contact your Micro Focus representative to learn more about this solution.
Additional new features in SRL 3.4 include:
- Vuser distribution locations. We have added support for the AWS Seoul region.
- New Scheduling Assistant. When you schedule a test run, the new Scheduling Assistant alerts you of possible conflicts between schedules that may result in a test not being able to run due to a licensing conflict.
- New Public API operations. New operations have been added to the StormRunner Load API that enable you to obtain data for individual transactions as well as to manage percentile transaction response times.
- New Report module. Several enhancements were made to the new Report module (currently in beta).
Among the new capabilities added to the new report you can find:
- Change the time range for the report by dragging, stretching, or shrinking the newly added time slider.
- Export the report results to a .pdf format.
- Add your own notes to each report section.
The following new sections were added to the new Report module:
- HTTP responses - lists the HTTP responses received during a test run and shows the number received for each response code.
- On-premises load generator scripts - shows which scripts ran on which on-premises load generators during a test run.
- On-premises load generator script errors - shows the top errors for each script that occurred on on-premises load generators during a test run.
To see all the new features in StormRunner Load 3.4, check out the What’s New page.
If you want to try out StormRunner Load for yourself, you can give it a go by signing up for the free 30 day trial.
You must be a registered user to add a comment. If you've already registered, sign in. Otherwise, register and sign in.