Continuous integration is becoming a best practice for software deployment today. To achieve faster and better performance feedback as well as quality, you should be running performance tests as part of your build cycle.
Micro Focus Performance Center 12.56 has introduced a new plug-in for Atlassian’s Bamboo.
This post explains how you can configure a Bamboo job to run Micro Focus Performance Center tests as a build step.
Atlassian’s Bamboo is a commercial, on-premises continuous integration tool with powerful features, and a clean user interface which is available out-of-the-box.
Bamboo uses the concept of a 'plan' with 'jobs' and 'tasks' to configure and order the actions in the workflow.
There are several types of tasks, and in order to support performance testing, we need to create a ‘Performance Center’ task.
Let’s see how we configure and run a Performance Center task in Bamboo…
How to install Bamboo Plugin:
- Log-in to your Bamboo instance as an administrator.
- Click the admin dropdown and chooseAdd-ons. The Manage add-ons screen loads.
- ClickFind new add-ons from the left-hand side of the page.
- LocateApp Delivery Management Bamboo CI Plugin via search. Results include app versions which are compatible with your Bamboo instance.
- ClickInstall to download and install your app.
- You're all set! ClickClose in the Installed and ready to go
Alternatively, download the plugin from Atlassian Marketplace and upload to your Bamboo server.
How to setup a Bamboo task:
- Create a new job or select an existing one.
- Add a new task as follows:
- Click Add Task.
- In the Task types box, search for ‘Performance Center’.
- Click the Performance Center Task. A new task is created.
- Enter the PC Project details: server URL, user name, password, domain, and project name.
- Enter the Test ID of the test you want this task to run.
- For Test Instance ID, select one of the following options:
- Automatic selection – The last instance ID will be selected automatically, or if none exist, a new one will be created.
Note: This option is only available if working with Performance Center 12.55 or later.
2. Manual selection – Enter the Test Instance ID you want to run.
To find the Test Instance ID in your Performance Center project, navigate to Test Management > Test Lab, and filter by the test set that contains the test. The ID is found in the list along with its Test Instance ID.
- Choose the Post Run action:
- If you select Collate and analyse, the Trending report options are displayed. Select a trend report option:
- Use trend report associated with the test (Performance Center 12.55 or later).If Auto Trending is selected in the test (a new feature added in PC 12.55), select this option to automatically publish trend results.
- Add run to trend report with ID. If you select this option, you need to enter the trend report ID.
- Additional options for configuration:
- Adjust the timeslot duration according to your needs.
- Choose whether to use VUDs licenses.
- Choose whether to consider the SLA status for determining the build-step status.
4. Click Save and your task is ready!
Run the Plan:
To execute tasks, you need to run the plan containing these tasks:
- Open the Run menu, and select Run plan.
- During execution, you can view the progress using the Bamboo live activity log
After the tasks in the plan have finished running, check the results in the Job Artifacts tab.
- Choose the build number.
- You can download the available HTML reports and trending report.
To learn more about the Performance Center - Bamboo Integration, see Performance Center Bamboo Plugin in the Performance Center Help.