Several years ago, we introduced Micro Focus Mobile Center to provide testers with the agility to test real and simulated mobile devices from on-premises labs or device farms in the cloud. Having a tool that bridged mobile and functional testing together with enterprise-grade lab management, centralized gateway, and scalable deployment capabilities turned mobile testing on its head.
Because of Mobile Center’s popularity, we’re turning mobile testing on its head again by giving Unified Functional Testing (UFT) users the ability to test mobile devices in order to:
- Execute omnichannel content strategies using the same script for desktop and mobile web
- Support mobile testing in companies that do not have a lab management solution in place yet
- Run mobile tests without needing a new tool for mobile only
Challenges in finding the right tool
Mobile app developers and testers understand that selecting the right solution for mobile testing can be a daunting task. When they shop the myriad of testing labs in the market, the cost of building and sustaining a lab is taken under consideration just as much as whether it will support all of their testing needs. Naturally, this makes buyers hesitant. Mobile testing labs are not exactly cheap, and no one wants to invest in a mobile testing lab just to find out it doesn’t live up to their expectations and growing demands.
In the recent World Quality Report 2018-19, our respondents cited a number of challenges they experience with mobile testing. While the challenges of having devices readily available or having the right expertise have decreased, they still face issues with having the right tool for testing and the time to test. The most common reason why these challenges exist still chalks up to the use of open source tools, which generally lack the breadth of functionality and coverage to span all types of test scenarios.
Taking everything into account, Micro Focus is devoting itself to getting the right testing tool into the hands of our enterprise users with our new Mobile Add-in for Local Devices.
Introducing the UFT Mobile Add-in for Local Devices
The UFT Mobile Add-in for Local Devices acts as a connector between UFT and the mobile devices connected directly to the UFT machine. In just a few steps, UFT users can start designing and running mobile app and web tests on one local mobile device at a time.
In addition, the UFT Mobile Add-in for Local Devices does not require you to purchase additional licenses. While fees are commonplace when it comes to testing mobile devices, we allow users to connect their mobile devices directly to UFT without buying a license to test your mobile device.
Added value for mobile testers
Whether you work in Retail, Telecom, Finance, or other adjacent industries, the UFT Mobile Add-in for Local Devices is a great fit for testers who need to:
- Easily connect and run tests at any time without worrying about time constraints
- Extend test coverage without needing an entire mobile test lab
- Avoid the additional cost that generally comes with testing mobile devices
- Reduce the number of defects found in production by using the right tool that meets the specific needs of your individual test scenarios
Note: You must have UFT 14.52 or later installed on your machine.
Perform the following steps to download and install the local device connector.
- Go to the UFT Mobile Add-in for Local Devices page on the Micro Focus AppDelivery Marketplace.
- Sign in or create a new account if necessary.
- Download the local device connector and install it on your UFT machine.
- After the installation is complete, connect your mobile device to the machine and open UFT.
- Go to UFT’s Options and configure mobile testing to use local devices.
- In UFT’s Record and Run Settings, select a device and application to test, as well as additional Test Options. After this, you can record or run tests.
While this blog covers a subset of our functionality, more details about this release and other new features will be covered in upcoming blogs.
Download UFT today from the following locations:
- Evaluating customers: Try UFT
- Existing customers: Software Updates
- Partners: Software Partner Community
To learn more about UFT, visit us at:
You must be a registered user to add a comment. If you've already registered, sign in. Otherwise, register and sign in.