Once upon a time ...

Absent Member.
Absent Member.
0 4 850
0 Likes

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the galaxy, ...

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, ...

Once upon a time ...

First posts to a new blog are very similar to first lines of a novel - it's an opportunity to grab the reader's attention and hopefully start building a long-term relationship to keep the reader engaged.

As a first post, I wanted to set out some background and the goals for my posts on this blog. 

My blog posts will mostly be talking about then business IT issues and high level technical trends and future vision. There will be many other people posting that will cover the technical details in great depth. They will be providing tips, code samples, demos, videos and much more however I'm sure I'll also be posting when I come across some productivity tip or "cool stuff" I want to share.

I'd also like to use this blog for discussions. If you, the reader, have questions or suggestions for Micro Focus COBOL products and strategy, please let me know on this blog. For detailed technical topics, the discussion forums would be a better place to hold those conversations but if you want me to post on a subject or offer my opinion (never short of those!), then let me know.

I need to point out that any opinions posted here are mine and mine alone. Clearly, I'm unlikely to be actively anti-Micro Focus, after all they do pay me! However, regardless of that, most of my opinions are usually closely aligned with Micro Focus'. After all, I first joined Micro Focus a *long* time ago and recently re-joined so there must be a lot of affinity.

I will try to be clear about any opinions that are mine compared to Micro Focus' - although the safe assumption is that all opinions are purely my own and Micro Focus has no responsibility for them. So you can't blame the company for anything I write! I also take full responsibility for everything I write so all typos, spelling, factual and, gramatical errors are definitely all my own work!

Finally, a quick introduction - I'm the Product Management Director for COBOL products at Micro Focus. That's all the COBOL that has never been near an IBM mainframe and there's a lot more of that than you may think. The products I cover include Visual COBOL, Net Express, Server Express and the related server/runtime products. I first joined Micro Focus in 1984 and have worked in and led various development teams over the years (and I think some of my code is still running!). I left as a result of mergers/divestments in the past and rejoined in 2008. It's great to be back and there's more exciting development going on now than I've ever seen in the company. I make a guest appearance in a number of videos including the great COBOL user testimonials on www.cobol.com.

Anyway, I think that's enough background. I'd better get some work done and then start making some posts with real content.

As I said, please get in touch and let me know what you want to hear about.

Posted by: Mark Warren, Product Management Director, Micro Focus

4 Comments
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

As the 'posted by' has no username attached perhaps add your sig 🙂

Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Good point, hadn't realized that.Thanks Simon.

Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hey Mark,

Well I'm old timer also. I've been using RM/Cobol since 78.   Can I say that here?

I did use Microfocus on one project during the 80's.  It was for the BookStore system I was writing. For the life of me dont know why I ended up going back to RM.

Anyway my profile tells about me, check it out.

Very nice to see us "LongTimers" are still around.

Tell me, how do i get MicroFocus on my APPLE systems?  ....  No Really....    iPad..... iPhone

Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Sorry bout that,

I thought it came from my profile. But it looks like the post is just using my screen name.

My name is Dave Gregware

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.