Community in read only mode June 18 & 19
This community will be set in READ ONLY mode for a while on Tuesday June 18 into Wednesday June 19 while we import content and users from our Micro Focus Forums community site. MORE INFORMATION
DAN-BERENDOWSKY Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

BPM 9.5- "WINDOWS 2016w/.NET4.6"-------PROBLEM INSTALLING------".NET 4.5 - INSTALLL FAILED"

Jump to solution

During BPM 9.5  Product Requirements check the install failed unable to install ".NET 4.5.." Is there any configurable items to bypass this step during install of BPM 9.5?

Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Respected Contributor.

Re: BPM 9.5- "WINDOWS 2016w/.NET4.6"-------PROBLEM INSTALLING------".NET 4.5 - INSTAL

Jump to solution

THIS was most likely caused by McAfee. It was disabled to get past the first part of install but required more. It was causing an access denied to complete that portion of the install.

0 Likes
5 Replies
Respected Contributor.

Re: BPM 9.5- "WINDOWS 2016w/.NET4.6"-------PROBLEM INSTALLING------".NET 4.5 - INSTAL

Jump to solution

ADDED More Info:
BPM 9.5- "WINDOWS 2016 w/.NET4.6"-------PROBLEM INSTALLING--*ERROR* ---".NET 4.5

During the install of BPM9.5 the Product Requirements phase of GUI: check; "install failed" unable to install .NET 4.5.." The 4.6 should include 4.5, but BPM 9.5 doesn't seem to be compatible with . NET 4.6..Are there any configurable items to bypass this step during install of BPM 9.5? Please advise of possible solutions or workarounds to get BPM 9.5 installed on WINDOWS 2016 SRVR.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi Dan,

what's really strange to start with:
BPM 9.50 doesn't have .NET (whatever version) listed as pre-requesite as per the documentation,
but it asks for it???
(This looks like a bug to me, we either need to document this as requirement, or not require it ...)

on a Windows 2016 system (using the hints from
  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/migration-guide/how-to-determine-which-versions-are-installed)
I checked whether or not .Net is installed:
RegEdit -> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Full
If the Full subkey isn't present, then you don't have the .NET Framework 4.5 or later installed.
I can find the Full subkey, with Release = hex 60632 = dec 394802
== .NET Framework 4.6.2
    on Windows 10 Anniversary Update and Windows Server 2016: 394802
so .NET most likely was pre-installed or even is part of Windows 2016.

When now installing BPM 9.50, I can see this:

PRODUCT REQUIREMENTS
    Install Checks : Click on the checks to view details.
    Checking Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 availability. This may take a few minutes.

this check passed on my system (I have .Net 4.6 which seems to satisfay the installer).
The installer uses this configuration: for the checK:
   <title>Checking Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 availability. This may take a few minutes.</title>
   <exec name="" halt_on_err="true" command="$DEFAULT_SHELL$">
    <args>/c $RESOURCES$$FSEP$ValidateAndInstallDotNet4.5.bat "$RESOURCES$"</args>

=> ValidateAndInstallDotNet4.5.bat

I now left the installer open as it is, this allows me to check the files the installer put onto the box:
As I'm logged in as administrator, I can find the fileset under
  C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp\BPM
there I can find
  ValidateAndInstallDotNet4.5.bat
and check it out:

To determine whether or not DotNet 4.5 is installed on the system, it first checks for a folder
  "%systemroot%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4*"
  (which usually expands to c:\windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4*)

dir c:\windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4*
  Directory of c:\windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework
    01/16/2019  12:04 PM    <DIR>          v4.0.30319

and if it exists, it checks for all registry keys under
 "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4"

If this exists as well, the installer takes this as indication that DOTNET 4.5 or higher has been installed and exits out,
otherwise it tries to install DotNet4.5 via
  %CMD_64BIT% /c %1/dotNetFramework451.exe /q /norestart

On my box I get
 SET DOT_NET_FRAMEWORK_V4="C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4*"
 IF EXIST "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4*" (
   cmd64-bit.exe /c c:\windows\system32\reg.exe query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4"
   if !ERRORLEVEL! EQU 0 (exit /b 0 )
  )

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Client
  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Full
  and thus an exit code of 0
so all is fine.

You now have several options:

- make sure your box has
  .NET 4.5 / DOTNET 4.5 or higher installed

- if not, install it, the installation bits are part of the directory the BPM installer creates
  (the directory remains in place as long as the installer window is open):
     C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp\BPM
       05/03/2019  11:08 AM        70,080,360 dotNetFramework451.exe
  you also can download it from Microsoft
    https://www.microsoft.com/de-de/download/details.aspx?id=40779

If .NET 4.5 or higher is installed, but the installer fails, you can fool it by
- creating a directory
   C:\windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4whatever
and
- creating a new key in the registry under
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4
  for example
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Full

Greetings
Siggi

Customer Support
Micro Focus

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Respected Contributor.

Jump to solution
Hi Siggi,
Seems to be very good investigative work and a great information. Thank You. Just a little info to add. Ours has this directory and registry entry:
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319............
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4.............
Great Reply!
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi Dan,

thanks for the update:
Ours has this directory and registry entry:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4...

This indicates that you have .NET 4.0 / DOTNET 4.0 installed.
As - for whatever reason - the BPM installer checks for 4.5, and finds this as not installed on your box,
it tries to install it and fails.

I would go ahead and install .NET 4.5 / DOTNET 4.5 as described in my previous post,
and proceed from there.

Greetings
Siggi

Customer Support
Micro Focus

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
Respected Contributor.

Jump to solution

THIS was most likely caused by McAfee. It was disabled to get past the first part of install but required more. It was causing an access denied to complete that portion of the install.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.