Absent Member.. tibornad Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: BSM 9.10 Upgrade Wizard help...

hello folks

i will take the liberty to contribute to this discussion since i'm dealing with the very same topic (upgrade from BAC 8.07 to BSM 9.10 in staging mode) at this point. the above poste have been helpful for me, but i still have a few questions. So maybe one of you can help me out.

1. Do i need to have second DB for the staging environment?

The current production environment has a Oracle DB attached. We are now setting up a second environment with a new GW and a new DPS server to install BSM 9.10 on. Now, do we need to have a second DB as well for the staging environment?

From my understanding this is the case and once we're in staging mode there will be two DB (old production, new staging).

2. How do we get data from production DB into staging DB?

After reading the above post i understand that the DB content has to be copied from the production DB into the staging DB? Is this correct? If yes when and how does this happen? Are we talking about a manual copy job on the DB level direclty? Or is this done as part of the upgrade wizard?

3. To which DB does the upgrade wizard connect to?

Once we are running the upgrade wizard. Is it correct that we point it towards the new staging DB? I assume since the upgrade wizard is performing modifications in the DB this has to happen on the new infrastructur which will be used with BSM 9.

Thanks a lot for your help!

0 Likes
Contributor.. Dave D. Contributor..
Contributor..

hi tibornad,

firstly, you're questions below are valid questions -- questions I also struggled with.  the upgrade documentation (and upgrade wiazrd) does an extremely poor job of conveying the overall process involved in the upgrade.

1. Do i need to have second DB for the staging environment?

yes.  you need a new (second) database instance specifically to be used by the staging environment (which will then become your production database instance post-upgrade).

2. How do we get data from production DB into staging DB?

one of the first few steps in the upgrade wizard asks you to backup your production databases.  what it doesn't tell you is that you also need to restore those databases (Management, BPI, CMDB, CMDB_History, and Profile(s)) to the new database instance you created for the staging environment.  so that's how the "data" is moved from production to staging.  you'll note the time you backed up the databases in production, because the upgrade wizard will do it's best to ensure the gap is closed between the time you backed up the databases in production and the staging data replicator is active in staging.

3. To which DB does the upgrade wizard connect to?

when the upgrade wizard prompts you for the db connection paramaters, you'll point it at the staging databases (the ones you've backed up from production and restored to your new (staging) database instance.  do NOT point it at your production databases.

---

hope this helps.  i'm still stuck at the CMDB Upgrade screen as I've outlined in the posts above, but HP is actively investigating the issue and I hope to have a resolution soon.

Absent Member..

hello dave

first of all many thanks for taking the time to reply. i really appreciate you information.

now the process is much more clear for me than it was before. actually i think there is quite a lack of information in the documentation. but i guess we will just have to deal with this.

we will start the upgrade process within the next few days and i have the feeling we might face the same problem at the cmdb step as you are. did you run the BAC 8.07 pre upgrade tool before the migration? it is supposed to generate reports with potential issues which might occur during the upgrade and suggest possible fixes. there is also a step for the cmdb in there. so i was wondering if that has returned any possible problems at the cmdb level in your case? i ran the reports with no errors in the cmdb section (had errors in other areas).

anyway i will post here if we are having the same problem or not. thanks again

cheers

0 Likes
Contributor..

yes we ran the pre-upgrade tool in the bac 8.07 environment.  we had no problems come back on cmdb.  we did however have some issues to be resolved prior in the pmanager log:

The PMcatalog is in an invalid state in the BAC_Production_Profile schema. For more information, see pmanager.log.

HP is working to resolve this issue for us.  apparently we have gaps in the partitions on a few Profile db tables.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Established Member.. Ben.Shirley
Established Member..

Hi, we too had no problems reported by the pre-upgrade tool for the CMDB.

0 Likes
Absent Member.. Wes Kaufmann Absent Member..
Absent Member..

This is a good thread as I noted the same issue of deficient documentation on the migration via the staging method.  I opened up a ticket with support and got the attached doc that looks close but doesn't look like it is quite applicable to our case.  Like others noted in this thread we too have the same Database server for our installation so we want the same database name but have a new schema inside the database.  Documentation is poor on this method.

What is not clear is if you use the same database server is it possible to have the same db name with a different schema name.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

@Wes Kaufmann wrote:

What is not clear is if you use the same database server is it possible to have the same db name with a different schema name.

If by "db name" you mean Oracle instance name, then yes, technically you can have different schemas belonging to different BAC/BSM instances within the same Oracle instance. I let your DBA team decide whether it's resonable/acceptable from DB performance point of view. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Wes Kaufmann Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Dimtry, Thanks, That is the way the DBA's like to do it. We have some large database servers that have multiple Databases and instances. I guess the tough part here is finding out what needs to be changed in the DB once it is copied over to the new instance.
0 Likes
Contributor..

Ben - Was your BAC 8 installation a FRESH install, or was it EVER upgraded from BAC 7.5?

0 Likes
Absent Member..

We are no in the process of upgrading a 8.07 environment to 9.10 via the upgrade wizard. During the schema upgrade step we are facing the following issue:

com.mercury.dbupgrade.correction.DBUCorrectionValidPlanCorrectionException: com.mercury.dbupgrade.correction.DBUCorrectionException: com.mercury.dbupgrade.correction.DBUCorrectionEventRunnerValidator$MeException: Try to decrease column size

Column[TEXT_SOURCE]

Table[DSH_LIST_COLUMNS]Database Schema Operation Completed: Database schema operation terminated before all tasks were completed,

View the log file (located at:'C:\HPBSM\log\upgrade')

the upgrade process stops because this step can't be completed. i have logged a support case with HP in order to solve this problem.

anybody here had a similar problem? the DB is a 1 to 1 copy from the 8.07 production system which should now be used for the 9.10 staging system. the upgrade.all.log is not really showing any additional information beside the above message.

0 Likes
Established Member.. Ben.Shirley
Established Member..

@Dave D. wrote:

Ben - Was your BAC 8 installation a FRESH install, or was it EVER upgraded from BAC 7.5?

Hi Dave, ours was upgraded from 7.5 some time ago. How are you getting on with support? I keep getting a little further along then some other upgrader fails (still in cmdb section of the wizard overall) related to the class model (classes starting with a number, or lowercase letter) very frustrating considering I have had the case open over 3 months, and nothing was detected in the pre-upgrade tool.

0 Likes
Damirche Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

I had to contact HP Support about this problem. They suggested shrinking value Varchar2(200), initial size was 4000.

So try: alter table BACMGMT.DSH_LIST_COLUMNS modify (text_source varchar2(200));

Worked for me.

p.s. Upgrade wizard is probably full of bugs in this case.

Regards,

Damir

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.