Highlighted
Absent Member.. ucmdbuser Absent Member..
Absent Member..

BSM upgrade from 9.10 to 9.2x

we are planning BSM upgrade from 9.10 to 9.2x.

would someone share their experience in terms of actual time to upgrade - install/uninstall/pre-upgrade  wizard/upggrade

any thing to remember before starting upgrade or showstoppers ?

any comments or pointers - all appreciated 🙂

Tags (1)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: BSM upgrade from 9.10 to 9.2x

hi,

It really depends on a lot of things. How big is your DB? do you choose direct or staging upgrade? Do you upgrade your server's OS, etc etc.

See the attached document , page 12 of a summary of the steps.

PatW

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi UcmdbUser,

as Pat already mentioned, this mainly depends on the size of your environment, the number and size of the database, number of systems, database type and version, power of the systems, and, and, and.

Some weeks a go I performed a staging upgrade from 8.07 to 9.13 to 9.24,
on a not too big system with 1 x GW and 1 x DPS running on Windows (2008 on the old, 2012 on the new servers, virtual servers),
only one profile database, Oracle 12 (running on Unix, phyiscal hardware).

Upgrade Wizard execution from 9.13 IP9 to 9.24 IP1 on the DPS took roughly 4 hours, but we envountered several errors,
had to fix them and restarted the upgrade wizard afterwards

The Upgrade Wizard execution from 9.13 IP9 to 9.24 IP1 on the GW took roughly 30 minutes, no errors at all.

Regarding the time it takes to perform the softeare installation:

last week I updated a set of systems from 9.22 to 9.25 IP1,
1 x GW, 1 x DPS, all on Windows, all virtual HW

The installation of 9.25 took roughly 20 minutes,
we restarted the systems after the upgrade to 9.25,

the installation of 9.25 IP1 took roughly 10 minutes,

the installation of the security patch BAC_00883 took roughly 5-10 minutes

Times were the same on GW and on DPS

Hope this helps
Siggi

Customer Support
Micro Focus

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
Absent Member..

thanks Pat for the tip.

yes I have seen that document and planning accordingly, havent agreed yet - if we should use staging or direct upgrade.

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Thanks Siggi for the detailed info and actual upgrade time - really useful!

you mentioned about "encountering several errors"

do you recall some of the the errors & may be the fix or may be they are available  in the logs..?

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi UcmdbUser,
please find attached my protocol from the part upgrade 9.13 IP9 to 9.24 IP1,
it covers the errors I eoncountered and what I did to solve or work around them.

I replaced all real customer system and/or database names with placeholders.

The protocol also contains all the times for the various installation and uninstallations.
Note that I performed a staging upgrade from 8.07 to 9.24 IP1, so we used a new set of system to install BSM the first time, and we also worked on a clone / copy of the original 8.07 production database,
so some steps might apply, some might not.
Regarding the timing:
one of the VM (I think it was the GW server) had a serious performance problem, one certain activity took an awful lot of time (I don't recall at what step this was), then the VM Admin switched the VM to another server, and the box worked as expected.

Greetings
Siggi

Customer Support
Micro Focus

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.