Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Joel Aquino_2 Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Best practices for starting BSM processes

Jump to solution

What are the best practices for starting BSM 9.x processes?   We have always started the processes on the DPS first and waited for the "Server is Ready" status before continuing on to our gateway servers.

We have heard that with BSM 9.x, it is OK to start all of the servers simultaneously, but we wanted to check with others before doing this.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Best practices for starting BSM processes

Jump to solution

@Joel Aquino_2 wrote:

So at minimum, I have to at least wait for the "domain_manager (DomainManager)" process on the DPS to start and then I can start the BSM processes on my gateways? 

No, you don't need to wait anything. Start DPS, start GW and simply wait for both DPS amd GW to be ready.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

As a rule, you always start with DPS first because this is where Sonic Domain Manager is running. But you don't need to wait for DPS to be fully ready, you can start GW immdediately after starting DPS.

0 Likes
Absent Member.. Joel Aquino_2 Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

So at minimum, I have to at least wait for the "domain_manager (DomainManager)" process on the DPS to start and then I can start the BSM processes on my gateways?

With this information, we will create a scheduled task to gracefully shut down and start up the BSM processes during our server team's monthly maintenance.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

@Joel Aquino_2 wrote:

No, you don't need to wait anything. Start DPS, start GW and simply wait for both DPS amd GW to be ready.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Absent Member.. Syed Uzair D Ha Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Further to add on this. We had a royal run in 2012 where we encountered ocean of issues with our BAc environment. HP haven't shared any standard process on how the process goes but it's a healthly mechanism to have DPS up and then go with GWs.

Generally there could be situation where Services on DPS takes little longer depending on performance/load on DPS.

If your environment it an distributed configuration (E.x Multi DPS + Multi GWs) then focus on health of environment than reducing the downtime during reboot.

Not sure if you are on Physical or Virtual environment setup!

0 Likes
hp4u Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Jump to solution

I am restarting the DPS first and then GW since Oct 2012 and not faced any issue  so far.

Regards,
hp4u
0 Likes
lawrence14 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hi

This is my first time to install HP BSM 9.20.

I dont have an idea to run/start it?

is it in http://<server_name>.<domain_name>/HPBSM

But, how can i find it (server name & domain name)

Also,

What things that that i need to consider from HP BSM?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Absent Member.. Syed Uzair D Ha Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Here is how it goes.

URL Access: http://FQDN/topaz/

Also, BSM architecture is little different from that of BAC. One key focus of BSM is to get itself integrated with ITIL V3 framework.

If you are trying to use IP address instead of FQDN/Domain Name then make changes from Admin -> Platform.

It would be good if you define your requirements by leveraging Capacity Calculator (File attached). One key observation is HP BSM does support Virtual platform offered by Microsoft apart from VMWare

0 Likes
lawrence14 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hi

I execute /opt/HP/BSM/scripts/run_hpbsm.sh start but when I try to access my GW_servername, it is service temporarily

available. Please see attached screenshot (gw_server)

Then i look the status of HP BSM, hardware and config server are failed. (screenshot:status.png) What is the possible

error for these?

How to run GW and DPS?

Additional from these,

Do i need to install other components of HP BSM, like SHA, ArcSight Logger, Data Collectors?

What functions do i need to monitor if I installed HP BSM 9.20 only?

Thanks!

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.