Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Respected Contributor.. Ankit_LTI Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

EPM and Keep data for values

Jump to solution

Hi,

We are on BSM 9.25 and are not using modules such as Diagnostics, TV, UDX etc..

As far as i know if we are not using these modules we should keep minimum epm value and change 'keep data for' value to minimum say 1 month instead of infinity..

Now in order to pull out the data of which table is using how much space, I use to run a query in bsmbrowser which was extracting data in GB and use to tell me which table (M_BM**, M_WP** etc) is consuming highest space.

I tried to run the query again on profile DBs as well as Management db but now it says 'Invalid object user_segments'. Is user_segments table removed from BSM?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: EPM and Keep data for values

Jump to solution

Hi Ankit_LTI 

yes, this
i guess earlier we ran it on Oracle and now the DB is MSSQL hence we are facing the issue..
would explain it.

You got the output for select * from user_segments?
Can you please share the column name which you see in output?
As I know that user_segments is an Oracle data structure of course I performed the SELECT statement against an Oracle database, and not an MS SQL database.

Also for the epm and keep data alive values, you me me understand the they should be low and not infinite for module which are not being used but management needs a confirmation that nothing will be affected..
As long as no data is written into the database there is no need to keep high values or even infinite (what I think is a bad default anyway).
You can simply check the number of records in any of the database tables
(select count(*) from M_BM**)
and if there are no records in it, simply set the value for EPM to the lowest possible value (which depends on the table itself) and also the Kepp Data For to a low value like 1 week or 1 month (again this depends on the table itself, as BSM keeps a list of characteristics per table controlled by PM).

To get to the same information on MSSQL simply check the internet, you will find myriads of related posts.
TO start with you can execute
  sp_msforeachtable 'EXEC sp_spaceused [?]'
which prints the space used for each object in the selected database
or very simply for one table
  EXEC sp_spaceused [BPM_TRANS_10000]

name                           rows       reserved     data            index_size  unused
  BPM_TRANS_10000  176341  163864 KB  70552 KB  92408 KB    904 KB

Greetings
Siggi

Customer Support
Micro Focus

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi Ankit_LTI,

this
As far as i know if we are not using these modules we should keep minimum epm value and change 'keep data for' value to minimum say 1 month instead of infinity..
is correct. While there is no "should" it makes a lot of sense to remove load from PM and reduce the disk space requrement for these tables.

You real question however
I tried to run the query again on profile DBs as well as Management db but now it says 'Invalid object user_segments'. Is user_segments table removed from BSM?

is not at all related to BSM and its data strcutures, this is a plain database question,
so you better check with your DBA.
"user_segments" is an Oracle internal database table and no table BSM creates.

On my Oracle 11.2 instance I can run for example
 select count(*) from user_segments;
on the Management database and on all profile databases,
so most likely your query is wrong or there is a permission issue.

Greetings
Siggi

Customer Support
Micro Focus

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
Respected Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hi Siggi,

Ok so i guess earlier we ran it on Oracle and now the DB is MSSQL hence we are facing the issue.. You got the output for select * from user_segments? Can you please share the column name which you see in output?

Also for the epm and keep data alive values, you me me understand the they should be low and not infinite for module which are not being used but management needs a confirmation that nothing will be affected..

I'll probably get a case raised and get it over mail..

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi Ankit_LTI 

yes, this
i guess earlier we ran it on Oracle and now the DB is MSSQL hence we are facing the issue..
would explain it.

You got the output for select * from user_segments?
Can you please share the column name which you see in output?
As I know that user_segments is an Oracle data structure of course I performed the SELECT statement against an Oracle database, and not an MS SQL database.

As long as no data is written into the database there is no need to keep high values or even infinite (what I think is a bad default anyway).
You can simply check the number of records in any of the database tables
(select count(*) from M_BM**)
and if there are no records in it, simply set the value for EPM to the lowest possible value (which depends on the table itself) and also the Kepp Data For to a low value like 1 week or 1 month (again this depends on the table itself, as BSM keeps a list of characteristics per table controlled by PM).

To get to the same information on MSSQL simply check the internet, you will find myriads of related posts.
TO start with you can execute
  sp_msforeachtable 'EXEC sp_spaceused [?]'
which prints the space used for each object in the selected database
or very simply for one table
  EXEC sp_spaceused [BPM_TRANS_10000]

name                           rows       reserved     data            index_size  unused
  BPM_TRANS_10000  176341  163864 KB  70552 KB  92408 KB    904 KB

Greetings
Siggi

Customer Support
Micro Focus

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Respected Contributor..

Jump to solution

Thanks Siggi.

Internet helped with the query part and you off course 🙂

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Thanks a lot log 😉

Siggi

Customer Support
Micro Focus

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.