Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Frequent Contributor.. SK3210 Frequent Contributor..
Frequent Contributor..

Error after migrating from Sitescope 11.24 to 11.32

I have been geeting health error after migrating from 11.24 to 11.32 , i also did a migration on the HPOM agent from 11.14 to 11.15, i have been unable to produce a fix for this after multiple attempts. Please help.

Error message :

[GenericDataConsumerThread - HP Operation Agent Metric Integration] (OperationAgentDataSender.java:180) ERROR - Failed to report data to HP OM Agent /Hewlett-Packard/OpenView/Coda/ Failed to connect to CODA. Please check if CODA process is up and running. ;IO error in receiveMessageHeader

Labels (1)
0 Likes
11 Replies
Frequent Contributor..

Re: Error after migrating from Sitescope 11.24 to 11.32

Im also seeing error message from system.txt - ERR: Tue Jul 12 12:08:02 2016: agtrep (1440/5496): (agtrep-40) Policy SiteScope_Hosts_Discovery will not be run since it is disabled.

Although the i can see all this error message and counters increasing for Log event checker - Failed to report data to HPOM agent , but the analyze for HPOM integration is passed.

I can also send proper messages to event browser (BSM) properly without any issue.

My only problem is why Log event checker - Failed to report data to HPOM agent counters are increasing on HP Sitescope.

0 Likes
Frequent Contributor..

I also saw a new message on the health, see attached Capture1.JPG

0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.. bkserver Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Did you upgrade the SiS in place(meaning uninstalled 11.2x and then installed 11.3x on the same machine) or did you migrate it to a new machine?
What version of BSM are you using?

0 Likes
Frequent Contributor..

I upgraded it on the same machine from 11.24 --> 11.32 and im on BSM 9.25

0 Likes
OpenView_Mike Contributor.
Contributor.

Did you try re-running the policy signing tool ~ part of the HP OM integration with SiteScope?

Best Regards,

~ Michael Stollaire
0 Likes
Frequent Contributor..

Yes done, that did not help either.

0 Likes
audayk1
New Member.

HI ,

Could you please check below things .

1) open this log file SiteScope\logs\HPSiteScopeOperationsManagerIntegration.log

2) please check any updated data related to recent monitor runs .

3)if there data is not updating in log file , please try to send testevent ot test mesage from integrationsettings\OMi settings.

please update me above details.

0 Likes
SKN3 Contributor.
Contributor.

Hi,

Could you please check below things(below information which we provided in one of the issue) and suggest customer. You can see INFO-2 having same error as customer mentioned.

INFO-1)

Info regarding HOST Discovery policy:

Node Discovery Policy

When SiteScope is connected with HPOM, a node is automatically created and registered in HPOM for each node monitored by SiteScope. This enables SiteScope to report all the nodes that it monitors to HPOM. Only hosts for monitors which report events are sent to HPOM through the discovery policy.

Tip: When you are not connected to HPOM (if connected to Operations Management), it is recommended to disable the node discovery by running the command: ovpolicy -disable -polname SiteScope_Hosts_Discovery

Note:
SiteScope does not report nodes or services to HPOM for monitors that are disabled, or are not configured to send events.

By default, SiteScope reports all the nodes that it monitors to HPOM every 5 minutes. You can modify this frequency by adding the _timeOutRunDiscoveryPolicyMinutes= property to the <SiteScope root directory>\groups\master.config file, and a value, in minutes, representing the reporting frequency. For example, _timeOutRunDiscoveryPolicyMinutes=10 means that the discovery policy is run every 10 minutes.

Node Discovery and Monitor Discovery Troubleshooting

Node Discovery:
If you are using HP Operations Manager for Windows 8.1x, patch OMW_00071 is required to support the Node discovery feature in SiteScope-HPOM event integration.
If you are using HP Operations Manager for Windows 9, patch OMW_00097/98 or later (32- bit/64-bit) is required to support the Node discovery feature without overriding SiteScope node properties.
If you are using HP Operations Manager for Solaris/HP-UX/Linux 9.10, patch 9.10.200 is required to support the Node discovery feature in SiteScope-HPOM event integration.

Problems with Node discovery:

1. Click the Analyze button in the HP Operations Manager Integration dialog box. Make sure you see the SiteScope_Hosts_Discovery policy installed and enabled.
2. Check that your event configuration is set. Send a test event and make sure you see it in the HPOM Event Console on the SiteScope node.
New nodes are reported within 5 minutes from the time they started to being monitored by SiteScope monitors.
The discovery policy runs SiteScope scripts that generate XML consumed by the policy. Each run is logged in the following log: %OvDataDir%\log\System.txt (for Linux <SiteScope Server>/var/opt/OV/log).
3. You can invoke the process manually, by running the following commands:ovagtrep -run "SiteScope_Hosts_Discovery"ovagtrep -publish

You able find all needed information in SiteScope_OM_Integration_Guide - %SiteScope%\sisdocs\pdfs\SiteScope_OM_Integration_Guide.pdf(this doc attached).

INFO-2)

Thank you for your assistance, customer partially replied your suggestions, but he also has some concerns about it,
Please find customer's email below:

I have seen this documentation and that has made me disable the policy as removing it has caused too much damage where all previously discovered nodes were deleted. We do not want this policy to add new nodes as it adds as unknown nodes first and then creates duplicate nodes causing OMW to drop messages. We want to manually add any SiteScope monitored nodes as external nodes into OMW and need to know if this policy can remain disabled without affecting other agent or OS functions, like memory consumption by agtrep process or disk space usage.

System.txt has this error about this policy:
0: ERR: Wed Nov 04 10:15:03 2015: agtrep (3224/3516): (agtrep-40) Policy wos-SiteScope_Hosts_Discovery will not be run since it is disabled

I also found these frequent errors in System.txt on the SiteScope server. I think this has to do with the fact that our policy is renamed to wos-SiteScope_Hosts_Discovery. Can we stop it from logging these frequent errors (every 5 minutes):

0: ERR: Wed Nov 04 12:30:56 2015: agtrep (3224/4484): (agtrep-63) Error - Unknown policy name SiteScope_Hosts_Discovery - not registered
0: ERR: Wed Nov 04 12:35:57 2015: agtrep (3224/3820): (agtrep-63) Error - Unknown policy name SiteScope_Hosts_Discovery - not registered
0: ERR: Wed Nov 04 12:40:57 2015: agtrep (3224/4620): (agtrep-63) Error - Unknown policy name SiteScope_Hosts_Discovery - not registered

I think adding “_timeOutRunDiscoveryPolicyMinutes=1440” in “<SiteScope root directory>\groups\master.config” file will at least reduce the number of these errors. Does the SiteScope service need to be restarted for this to take effect?

Is there a limit on the number of minutes for this parameter?

INFO-3)

Q: I think adding “_timeOutRunDiscoveryPolicyMinutes=1440” in “<SiteScope root directory>\groups\master.config” file will at least reduce the number of these errors. Does the SiteScope service need to be restarted for this to take effect?

[Shashi E.] Yes, need to restart SiS after applying changes in master.config.

Q:
Is there a limit on the number of minutes for this parameter?

[Shashi E.] As i see from code - there are no any limit for this parameter.

Note:-
-----
Using SiteScope > Preferences > Integration Preferences > HP Operations Manager Integration Dialog Box

"Enable node discovery policy" is disabled automatically and "SiteScope_Hosts_Discovery" policy is disabled.
"Enable node discovery policy" is enabled automatically and "SiteScope_Hosts_Discovery" policy is enabled.
=> Unmark Connect direct to BSM
Point-1:-
If you are using OMi then you must have to do these steps for sending event.
=>added 2 checkboxes to HP Operations Manager Integration Preferences Dialog Box :
1. Enable sent Event
2. Connect direct to BSM
3. enable node discovery policy
when the use select connect direct to BSM -the "enable node discovery policy" is disable and we change the policy status to disable.
if the user select "enable node discovery policy", then we run ommand that enable the policy.

Point-2:-
If you are using HPOM(OMW/OML etc..) then you have to do enable below checkbox.
1. Uncheck Connect direct to BSM
3. Then automatically "Enable node discovery policy" will enable.
=> Also SiteScope > Preferences > Integration Preferences > HP Operations Manager Integration Dialog Box > HP Operation Manager Metrics Integration tab >
Here you can enable also enable these 2 checkbox.

Regards,
Shashi

0 Likes
Frequent Contributor..

I did a test message, results are below

2016/07/15 16:54:49:593 NORMAL SiteScope Test message Object SitescopeTester Congratulations! If you can see this message then your SiteScope is fully integrated to your Operations Manager. This message was invoked from SiteScope by a user demand. Receiving this message means that the operation agent log file policy used for the SiteScope/OM integration was able to read a log file entry written by SiteScope and send it to this management server Test message Category Test message Sub-Category Test message Key from SitescopeTester Test message Close key Test message CI Hint Test messge ETI Hint Test message Source Hint Test message Component CI Test message SiteScope drilldown url Test message monitor service id 1 Value of cma1 Value of cma2 Value of cma3 Value of cma4 Value of cma5

There aee some error messages as well as below:-

2016/07/15 12:14:55:600 CRITICAL SiteScope SiteScope:SitescopeTester:Health:Log Event Checker sitescopetester Metric '.*Failed to report data to HP OM Agent.*' changed status from 'good' to 'error' Metric '.*Failed to report data to HP OM Agent.*' crossed '.*Failed to report data to HP OM Agent.* > 0' with value '3' Log Event Health Monitor .*Failed to report data to HP OM Agent.* SitescopeTester:f6def35e-e26f-4e89-b71a-fb32e6122441:.*Failed to report data to HP OM Agent.*:Critical:CRITICAL SitescopeTester:f6def35e-e26f-4e89-b71a-fb32e6122441:.*Failed to report data to HP OM Agent.* CiHint:@@sitescopetester LegacySystem:Critical:3 SiteScope@@SitescopeTester SiteScope:SitescopeTester:.*Failed to report data to HP OM Agent.* http://SitescopeTester:8080/SiteScope/servlet/Main?activeid=10000&activerighttop=dashboard&view=new&dashboard_view=Details&dashboard_model=true&sis_silent_login_type=encrypted&login=%28sisp%29knjxbqDESkAn5mKcvgTmj%2FyFwHH5Ke3m&password=%28sisp%29EzqXbIXEFD%2BJbE1N1T%2FZlELjja0DKaN7 SiteScopeMonitor:__Health__:10000 1

0 Likes
Frequent Contributor..

Sashi,

I have looked into all the details which you have send. Good details.

Below is what i have got

1) My setup is "Direct to BSM" and therefore SiteScope_Hosts_Discovery" policy is disabled.

The topology is not getting updated. If i were to revert back to 11.24 with 11.14.014 HPOM agent on Sitescope, the topology is working well and everything is getting updated.

I have also tried to upgrade the HPOM agent to the latest version 11.15 version , nothing improved.

0 Likes
SKN3 Contributor.
Contributor.

Hi,

Okay I show in your last comments, now I think you have topology issue, I mean you are not able to see topology in OMW right, if I am correct.

So could you please verify if you perform all these steps mentioned in below link/path:-

=.> SiteScope\tools\OMIntegration\SiteScopeMonitorDiscoveryPolicy\SiteScopeMonitorDiscoveryPolicy_readme.docx

If customer/you perform all the mentioned steps and still not able to see topology then, please send me the latest logs and file mentioned below.

1)  Please open up the following file and set the loglevel to DEBUG and max.size to 20000KB:
  <Drive-Path>:/ProgramData/HP/HP BTO Software/shared//server/conf/discovery  /opr-svcdisc.properties
 Then reproduce the problem and send me the OvSvcDiscServer.log and the following file:
   <Drive-Path>:/ProgramData/HP/HP BTO Software/shared//server/log/opr-svcdiscserver.log

System.txt file in the <SiteScope Server>\%OvDataDir%\log folder

agtrep.xml file in <SiteScope Server>\%OvDataDir%\datafiles folder for see the discovered instances the agent knows about

OvSvcDiscServer.log  file in <OM Server>\%OvShareDir%\server\log\ for see what OM receive

2) In case that the issue persist please send me the following logs:

a. From the server:
    i. Reconciliation.log
    ii. Error.log
  b. From the probe
    i. Probe-error.log

3) Also check and send me %OvShareDir%\log ,<SiteScope Server>\%OvDataDir%\log,<SiteScope Server>\%OvDataDir%\datafiles,<HPOM Server>\%OvShareDir%\server\log\OvSvcDiscServer.log folders.

4)SiteScope Logs:-

1 Events -> SiteScope\logs\HPSiteScopeOperationsManagerIntegration.log

2 Metrics -> SiteScope\logs\oa_metric_integration.log

-> Also if possible please upload "SiteScope\tools\OMIntegration" folder.

You can also refer below incident to understand more, how to enable debug and how to analyze/identify the issue.

http://quixy.hpecorp.net/quixy/query/detail.php?ISSUEID=QCIM8D43707
http://quixy.hpecorp.net/quixy/query/detail.php?ISSUEID=QCIM1A142530
http://quixy.hpecorp.net/quixy/query/detail.php?ISSUEID=QCIM1A167805
http://quixy.hpecorp.net/quixy/query/detail.php?ISSUEID=QCIM1A169074
http://quixy.hpecorp.net/quixy/query/detail.php?ISSUEID=QCCR1A127674
http://quixy.hpecorp.net/quixy/query/detail.php?ISSUEID=QCIM1A158770

Regards,

Shashi

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.