Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Respected Contributor.. MikeAlpha Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

No RUM sniffer probe data in APM (BSM) application health - Need Help

Hi,

I am new in APM(BSM) & RUM. I am not able to view RUM probe (sniffer) data in APM (BSM) application health. No data in any report. Probe is working fine, RUM health is ok, configurtaion is fine. screen shots are attached kindly have a look.

Kindly help.

Best Regards

0 Likes
14 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: No RUM sniffer probe data in APM (BSM) application health - Need Help

Hi Mike,

Can you send a screen shot of the End User Management RUM application configuration?

Also, is the traffic encrypted?

Regards,

Tim

0 Likes
Respected Contributor..

Hi Tim,

thank you so much answering. End User Management RUM application configuration screen shot is attached. kindly have a look.

No, traffic is not encrypted.

Best Regards

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Mike,

I need to see the RUM Application configuration in Admin: / End User Management / Monitoring

Have you defined the application URL or IP and Port ranges (or both)?

Regards,

Tim

0 Likes
Respected Contributor..

Yes Tim. I have defined the both.

kindly have a look at the attached image.

Regards

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Mike,

Try taking out the URL so you just have the IP and Port range.  Leave that for a while and see what is captured.  I think the RUM Engine and Probe check for configuration updates every 5 minutes so it won't change immediately.  You can force a sync from the RUM Engine web console if you are in a rush.

You can add the URL back in based on what you see in the reports, such as Session Analyzer if you do capture traffic.  Sometimes it is not quite the same as you expect.

Regards,

Tim

0 Likes
Respected Contributor..

Tim, thank you so much for the suggestion but i am getting nothing in reports and APM application health. how to confirm that RUM probe is capturing data and sending to RUM engine and RUM engine sending that data to APM?

Regards

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Mike,

Sometimes it takes a while for low volume RUM data to regjster.  Can you see anything in the Session Analyzer report now?

Regards,

Tim

0 Likes
Respected Contributor..

No Tim, I can't see anything. sharing screen shot with you.

Best Regards

0 Likes
Respected Contributor..

Hi Tim,

Kindly suggest some solution. It is been 4 days i am stuck in that issue. I have a timeline to meet.

Best Regards

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Mike,

Run traffic discovery again and check that you are seeing traffic for that application on the RUM Probe.  Check that you can still see the domain name, and expand that to check that the expected servers (or IPs) are under it.  Also check the server view

If your prope is on Linux, you can use the tcpdump command to check that the probe is seeing traffic to and from the web server IPs.  If it's a Windows probe, you could capture a pcap and analyse that offline.

How are you directing network data to the Probe?  I have seen situations where only one way comms is being sent to the Probe, so you may see requests and not responses or the other way round.

Are there any errors on the health page in the RUM Engine web console?

Regards,

Tim

0 Likes
Respected Contributor..

Hi Tim,

Yes, i can see the desired pages or application in traffic discovery. Yes, i can see the domain name. sharing screen shots with you.

We have Vmware Infrastructure, Application and Probe are both installed on VMs. We have enabled Promiscuous mode on the VSwitch. Using this configuration we are able to capture traffic in Probe.

No, there is no error in RUM engine health. It is OK.

Regards,

Mike

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Mike,

Can you check that Windows Firewall is not blocking comms between the Gateway and the Engine?  A simple way to do this is to logon to the RUM Engine web console from a browser on the Gateway server, and also try to login to BSM from a browser on the RUM Engine.  If either don't work, check the Windows firewall settings on each server.

I am using a test APM 9.50 / RUM 9.51 environment, and left the Windows Firewall active on the Engine so could not run reports that get data from the RUM Engine database.

Also, check the following metrics in the RUM Engine web console System Health page:

Drill down to the Probe, and then Probe Channels Status and look for Action Hits...

Probe Action hits - shows the number of hits per second for all RUM apps on that Probe.  If this is zero, then the Probe is not seeing traffic matching the RUM applications

Probe Action Hits Published by BBRetriever - shows the actions per second that the Probe is publishing to the Engine.  If this is 0, but you have action hits on the previous metric, it shows that the Probe is not publishing data

Probe Action Hits Read by Engine - this shows if the Engine is picking up the data from the Probe or not.  If this is zero, but the Probe is publishing data, then you could have a comms issue between the Engine and Probe, or a problem on the Engine

If these are all OK and showing similar values, check the following:

Go back to the Parent View and go to RUM Engine, then BBRetriever Information and check Total Actions Published and Read

Then go back to the Parent View and go to Samples to Application Performance Management... and check for Total Samples Created (shows the Engine is processing data...) and Total Samples Sent (...and sending data to APM).  Also check that Publisher Samples Thrown is zero - this is where the Engine is dropping data.

If that all looks OK, then it could be a problem on APM.

Regards,

Tim

Respected Contributor..

Hi Tim,

Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate your support.

All firewalls are disabled.

Actully, now i can see the RUM data in APM, problem has been solved. Issue was with jmx console password, so APM was not able to get the data.

Menthioned 3 actions hits data is 0.

But these action hits are showing 0 in RUM web console.

Why the values are 0 now?

Sharing screen shot with you.

Kindly have a look.

Menthioned 3 actions hits data is 0.

Total Actions Published and Read are also showing 0 value.

Total Samples Created  0.1 samples / second (6318 samples)

Total Samples Sent  0.2 samples / second (6312 samples)

But, APM is showing RUM data in application health.

Now please suggest me what is going on. Where the actual problem is.

Regards,

Mike

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Mike,

Action hits will be for actions you define in the RUM configuration for that RUM app in APM, End User Management.  Therefore, this is expected if you have not defined any RUM Actions yet.

Regards,

Tim

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.