lawrence14 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Running HP BSM 9.20

Hi

I installed HP BSM 9.20 in Linux platform. Now my problem is, how i can start/run it?

Is it in url? http://<server_name>.<domain_name>/HPBSM?

But, how i will find server name and domain name.

Im sorry, this is my first time to install it. I dont have an idea to run it properly.

Additional from these,

what other things do i consider from HP BSM?

Thanks!

0 Likes
9 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Running HP BSM 9.20

Hi lawrence14,

to start HP BSM on Linux,

execute

/opt/HP/BSM/scripts/run_hpbsm.sh start

to stop it

/opt/HP/BSM/scripts/run_hpbsm.sh stop

After starting BSM, I usually use

tail -f /opt/HP/BSM/log/supervisor/nannyStatus.all

and wait for the line

<date / time> All services started in <time>

When stopping, look for the line

<date / time> All services stopped in <time>

If the file exists on 9.20 already (not sure), you can also verify the BSM Status via

/opt/HP/BSM/tools/bsmstatus/bsmstatus.sh

Always start the DPS first, wait until it is up, then the GW.

When you stop BSM, stop the GW first, then the DPS.

When BSM is up and running, you access the GUI via

http://<GW_servername>/HPBSM
or (the old way)

http://<GW_servername>/topaz

Greetings

Siggi

Customer Support
Micro Focus

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Hi Siggi

Yes, i try to execute these. When I use your command tail -f /opt/HP..... I saw it is invalid option.

Then, when i look HPBSM status, hardware profile and config server are failed. Please see attached screenshot.

Also, how to start DPS and GW?

and, what will i type for my GW_servername?

Thanks a lot!

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi lawrence14,

tail -f is a standard Unix / Linux command,

check out

man tail

on your box to see what options are supported.

You start the DPS and / or GW server as explained:
/opt/HP/BSM/scripts/run_hpbsm.sh start

> what will i type for my GW_servername?

Whatever the hostname of the server is.

If your GW servername (enter the command hostname to see the hostname)

is "cologne.deu.hp.com",

the URL is

http://cologne.deu.hp.com/topaz"

Regarding the error in the status output:

you mentioned that you do have a GW server and a DPS server,

however the output shows all services running on the same box, so it would be a typical installation (GW and DPS on the same system).

The output also tells

failed to check if config server was executed.

Did you run the configuration wizard after the installation?

On the DPS, then on the GW?

Greetings

Siggi

Customer Support
Micro Focus

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Hi Siggi

First, I execute the run_hpbsm start,  then command tail -f.......nanny.log. But i always see that it is stop as you mentioned

your previous post. Please see attached screenshot (nanny.png)

I accessed my GUI but it is service temporarily available. see attached screenshot (gw_server.png)

What configuration wizard? HP Setup and Database Configuration Utility? I'm done with that sir.

Is it different config wizard on GW and DPS?

Thanks sir

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.

Additional question Siggi,

Do I need to install other components of HP BSM? Like Arcsight, Data Collectors, SHA.

What functions can I monitor if i installed HP BSM 9.20 only?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Lawrence,

I've seen that you are asking the same questions in multiple threads.

I consider this a bad practice, as it usually causes duplicate work for all the prople replying to these queries,

as long as they are not aware of the other threads.

Anyway:

> First, I execute the run_hpbsm start,  then command tail -f.......nanny.log. But i always see that it is stop as you mentioned
Yes, as BSM cannot startup due to the messages in the status window.

Nanny (the mother of all BSM processes) starts up, detects the two issues, and then stops.

> I accessed my GUI but it is service temporarily available. see attached screenshot (gw_server.png)
 As BSM is not up and running, you can of course not access is, thus this error message

> What configuration wizard? HP Setup and Database Configuration Utility? I'm done with that sir.

Yes, this one.

If it's a fresh install, you don't need to run any extra utility, just install, then the bits get applied, then the initial configuration is checked, and then the wizard is started asking for the database and deployment details.

> Is it different config wizard on GW and DPS?

No, it's the same.

For a fresh install of BSM 9.20 it would be <BSM>/bin/config-server-wizard.sh (Linux)

In general I think there is a real issue on your system(s).

As I already mentioned, you stated that you have a two server installation, 1 x GW and 1 x DPS.

But on the system you posted the status screen from, all moudles are shown (GW and DPS),

so are you confident that you installed the correct BSM "flavor" on the two systems,

Data Processing Server on one, and Gatweay Server on the second?

Can you please post <BSM>/log/supervisor/nanny_all.log for a look?

On your additional question:

> Do I need to install other components of HP BSM? Like Arcsight, Data Collectors, SHA.
> What functions can I monitor if i installed HP BSM 9.20 only?

BSM without data collector is nothing, as it's a product to display data, alarm on data, do calculation on data, and so on. But the data is not coming from BSM, but from one of the many data collectors you need to install separately:

BPM, SiteScope, RUM, TV, BSMC, just to name some.

I think without data collectors you can "only" do all the OMi magic, if you do have an OMx system connected to BSM.

Greetings

Siggi

Customer Support
Micro Focus

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Hi Siggi,

Im sorry for bad practice, I'm totally stuck here on how to run HP BSM. I don't have an idea and experience yet, and no one

could help me here. So, I rely to these forum and documentations. Thank you for your kind attention.

So, how many computers do i need to run BSM properly sir? Can i install in virtual machine (VMWare Player)?

The errors is still occuring sir. Please see attached screenshots.

Im sorry again if i have many questions but it helps a lot. Thank you very much.

0 Likes
AshishGupta Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Lawarance,

You are facing lot of issues with  your current set up.

I would suggest  you to go and read the Deployment cycle once  again  and follow it:

a) Check the Hardware for the set up -  This will help you to understand the number of boxes you require and Configuration  on the boxes wrt RAM , CPU , Hard Disk

b)  Check the supported Software  you will require:  Browser ,  Flash player etc

c) Type of Deployemnt: Single , Multiserver

d) Right access for installation

And most inportant question why you are setting  up the BSM  , that will answer  youe question that which component( Data Collector) of BSM you need  and  it will also  help you to  understand which license is required.

Regards,

Ashish

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Hi

I fixed the issue. I access BSM even w/o FQDN. By:

access bsmserver:8080/jmx-console

search topaz service=SS0

Get Domain= Falso

Invoke

Thank you for your information everyone.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.