Highlighted
ADR Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

SNMP configuration

Jump to solution

Hi, 

After install a 9.26 version of BSM, we are going to configure the SNMP traps. We have the MIB file ready but we dont know how to load it in the BSM and we are not finding documentation clear about that.

Could you please guide us about how to do and if its necessary anything more ?

Regards

Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
P_Praveen Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: SNMP configuration

Jump to solution

HI ADR,

I had the same issue with my BSM 9.26.

Please  follow the below steps on DPS server

1. Backup HPBSM\conf\settings\alertengine.properties and

HPBSM\conf\settings\alertengine.xml files       

2.Stop BSM

3. Copy the files that attached in the 112524-fix files.zip to HPBSM\conf\setting

4. Start the BSM.

Click to download: http://www.filedropper.com/112524-fixfiles

Thanks.

Praveen

17 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi Adr,

is this about BSM sending an alert via SNMP trap to another system?

Then please check out
BSM Application Administration Guide
Chapter 9: CI Status Alerts Administration

If you plan a different thing, please explain in more detail.

Greetings
Siggi

Customer Support
Micro Focus

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
ADR Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi, 

Thanks for your reply.

I've read this part of the guide but I have some doubts.

To configure the alerts MIB in your SNMP management console:
a. Copy the <HPBSM root directory on the Data Processing Server>\SNMP_
MIBS\CIAlerts.mib file from the HP Business Service Management Documentation and
Utilities DVD to your SNMP management console.
b. To view the alerts varbinds, use your SNMP management console's MIB browser. For a list of
varbinds and their descriptions, see "Alerts MIB Varbinds" below.
c. Using your SNMP management console's event configuration utility, configure the notification
content and method for the various alert types. For a list of alert types and their corresponding
SNMP-specific codes, see "SNMP-Specific Codes" below.

I have ready EBAlerts.mib file, can i use this? 

How i can use the SNMP management console? Where is it? 

Regards. 

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi Adr,

you didn't tell us yet what you wanna do with the MIB and the SNMP traps.

The "thing" you send the SNMP trap has to receieve the SNMP trap.
In the documentation it is assumed that this receiver is a piece of software which offers a SNMP management console,
that's where you need to configure what it should do in case of an incomping SNMP trap from BSM.
Typical products are NNMi or NetCool and many others.

BSM comes with a pre-defined MIB file (CIAlerts.mib) for CI Status alerts.

You are talking about EBAlerts.mib, which is a similar file, but used with EUM alerts,
see
BSM Application Administration Guide, Chapter 79: End User Management Alerts Administration

> I have ready EBAlerts.mib file, can i use this?
BSM comes with a predefined one, as explained above.
As long as you follow the varbinds as listed in the section
Alerts MIB Varbinds
I think that you can use yours as well.

BSM uses the OID as listed in the varbinds, for example
  1.3.6.1.4.1.5233.4.2 for the name of the alert
no matter what you do to the EBAlerts.mib file, it will always use
  1.3.6.1.4.1.5233.4.2 for the name of the alert
the file itself is only useful for consumers of the trap, like NNMi.
You need to import / compile / load it it into the SNMP Management Console to enable it to translate the OID to the real names behind it.

Greetings
Siggi

Customer Support
Micro Focus

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
ADR Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi, 

Sorry for the lack of information. We need to send traps to Netcool when the transaction fail. 

We were thinking that maybe we needed to import/load the MIB file because we can't open the dialog in the EUM alert in order to enter the IP of the destination (Netcool). Please, check the attached images. You can see the error in SNMP image.

In Netcool side everything is ready.

Regards

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi Adr,

thanks for the clarification.
As far as I know the .mib file is not used actively within BSM, all the information (OID and alike) is hard-coded.
You say that you cannot open the dialog in the EUM alert in order to enter the IP of the destination (Netcool).
What happens when you click in Definitions Details on "specified host address(es)?
I cannot see an error ...

It should open a dialog like this one:
screenshot.jpg

Greetings
Siggi

Customer Support
Micro Focus

0 Likes
ADR Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi,

This is the problem, nothing happen. The dialog doesn't appear.

Regards

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Aaah, we finally reached the point of the problem 😉

As this is BSM 9.26, give it a try with IE11, FF or Chrome.

Greetings
Siggi

Customer Support
Micro Focus

0 Likes
ADR Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi,

We already tried with Firefox, and we have the same issue.

regards

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi Adr,

I had a look at the code but couldn't find any DEBUG logging statements, so I actually cannot find out what logfile to look at,
but I found one interesting thing I forgot about initially:
boolean contentEnabled = authentication.isSNMPPermitted() && !storyPanel.isViewOnly();

Does your user have SNMP permission assigned, as described in the manual:
1. Set up the appropriate administrative privileges
You can set the appropriate administrative privileges to create a command that can be attached to
an alert scheme and run when the alert it is attached to is triggered.
To set the appropriate administrative privileges:
a. Select Admin > Platform > Users and Permissions > User Management.
b. Select the appropriate user in the left column, and click the Permissions tab.
c. Select the Platform context, and under Business Service Management, click Send SNMP
trap.
d. Click the Operations tab, and select the Change option.

did you try to reset the Infrastructure Settings
Default SNMP target address
and
Legacy SNMP target address
back to the default and try again?

Did you already try to setup another alert and try it there?

If this all doesn't help, check out the logs for any related looking errors (like unable to read setting, or a null pointer exception) or alike.

Greetings
Siggi

Customer Support
Micro Focus

0 Likes
ADR Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi, 

Thank you very much for response. 

I worked as admin, so I have all permission assigned. 

I have reset  the Infrastructure Settings, but the issue remains. 

I have checked all logs but there is not related errors.

Regards. 

0 Likes
ADR Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi again, 

when I click in "specified host address" appears an exception in Java Console:

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-2" java.util.MissingResourceException: Can't find bundle for base name AppServer/resources/AlertsAdminServerResources, locale en_GB
at java.util.ResourceBundle.throwMissingResourceException(ResourceBundle.java:1499)
at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundleImpl(ResourceBundle.java:1322)
at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundle(ResourceBundle.java:721)
at com.mercury.am.alerts.admin.ui.server.AlertsAdminServerImpl.getText(AlertsAdminServerImpl.java:514)
at com.mercury.am.alerts.admin.ui.server.AlertsAdminServerImpl.getGlobalSnmpv3UserName(AlertsAdminServerImpl.java:331)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:606)

Also in evb_alerts_ui. log we have :

2016-09-22 14:10:46,847 [ajp-/127.0.0.1:8009-2] (AlertsAdminServerImpl.java:330) ERROR - Customer '1': Failed to get global SNMP v3 user name.
com.mercury.infra.setting.utils.SettingException: No such setting for customerID:1 context:alertengine setting:settings.global.snmp.event.user.name
at com.mercury.infra.setting.base.settingApi.SettingServiceAPIImpl.getVariablePerCustomer(SettingServiceAPIImpl.java:205)

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi Adr,

thanks for your last reply and this information:

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-2" java.util.MissingResourceException: Can't find bundle for base name AppServer/resources/AlertsAdminServerResources, locale en_GB
at java.util.ResourceBundle.throwMissingResourceException(ResourceBundle.java:1499)
at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundleImpl(ResourceBundle.java:1322)
at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundle(ResourceBundle.java:721)
at com.mercury.am.alerts.admin.ui.server.AlertsAdminServerImpl.getText(AlertsAdminServerImpl.java:514)
at com.mercury.am.alerts.admin.ui.server.AlertsAdminServerImpl.getGlobalSnmpv3UserName(AlertsAdminServerImpl.java:331)

This shouldn't (!) be a problem.
BSM looks for the file <HPBSM>\AppServer/resources/AlertsAdminServerResources_en_GB.properties (based on the locale settings of your browser), which doesn't exist:

C:\HPBSM\AppServer\resources>dir AlertsAdminSer*
09/07/2015 07:57 PM 2,070 AlertsAdminServerResources.properties
09/07/2015 07:57 PM 2,399 AlertsAdminServerResources_de.properties
09/07/2015 07:57 PM 2,070 AlertsAdminServerResources_en.properties
09/07/2015 07:57 PM 2,526 AlertsAdminServerResources_es.properties..
if BSM cannot find the file matching the locale it is supposed to fallback and use AlertsAdminServerResources.properties.
You can of course copy
  AlertsAdminServerResources.properties
to
  AlertsAdminServerResources_en_GB.properties
and try again, but I actually don't think that this will make a difference.

The other error seems to be more significant:

evb_alerts_ui.log (I've never seen this logfile before!!)
2016-09-22 14:10:46,847 [ajp-/127.0.0.1:8009-2] (AlertsAdminServerImpl.java:330) ERROR - Customer '1': Failed to get global SNMP v3 user name.
com.mercury.infra.setting.utils.SettingException: No such setting for customerID:1 context:alertengine setting:settings.global.snmp.event.user.name
at com.mercury.infra.setting.base.settingApi.SettingServiceAPIImpl.getVariablePerCustomer(SettingServiceAPIImpl.java:205)

No idea if this can cause the GUI not to come up, but you can cure this easily by going to
BSM -> Admin -> Platform -> Setup and Maintenance -> Infrastructure Settings
Foundations : Alerting

and then under
Alerting - Triggered Alerts
fill in somethiung useful for all the SNMP-related fields:
Alerting - Triggered alerts

Default SNMP v3 authentication passphrase
<something (stars)>
Default SNMP v3 authentication protocol
No authentication
Default SNMP v3 privacy passphrase
<something (stars)>
Default SNMP v3 privacy protocol
No privacy
Default SNMP v3 user name
HPBSMUSER

see my - out of the box - settings under each line.

On my box
"Default SNMP v3 user name" is set to "HPBSMUSER".
If you specify something here, it might do the trick already.
The GUI will tell you if a restart of BSM is required after chaning that variable.

Greetings
Siggi

Customer Support
Micro Focus

0 Likes
ADR Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi ,

Many thanks for you continuos help. We dont have the options you said. Attached you can check what we have.

Regards

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi Adr,

what you illustrate is the reason for the issue.
You should see the same settings under "Alerting - Triggered alerts" as I can see on my box:

screenshot.jpg

All the SNMP v3 Settings are missing (Default and Legacy), leading to the problem that BSM fails when it tries to access the setting via the internal key,
like as "Default SNMP v3 user name" == "global SNMP v3 user name" via setting for customerID:1 context:alertengine setting:settings.global.snmp.event.user.name

I checked around and found the default settings in the file <HPBSM>\conf\settings\alertengine.xml
<setting nameResource="settings.default.snmp.user.name.name" name="settings.default.snmp.user.name" displayInUI="true" descResource="settings.default.snmp.user.name.desc" sectionResource="sections.alert.actions" refreshRate="Minutes" refreshRateValue="1" settingType="customer">
<value type="string"> HPBSMUSER </value>
</setting>
<setting nameResource="settings.global.snmp.event.user.name.name" name="settings.global.snmp.event.user.name" displayInUI="true" descResource="settings.global.snmp.event.user.name.desc" sectionResource="sections.alert.actions" refreshRate="Minutes" refreshRateValue="1" settingType="customer">
<value type="string"> HPBSMUSER </value>
</setting>

Can you please verify if you can find at least these two entries in this file.
If they are there, then we need to find a way to tell BSM to read it and to add the entries to the database.
If they are not in, the file needs to be replaced with a good one, and re-read by BSM (as above).
I guess that the second case applies to your system.

Another option would be to manually add these entries to the BSM Management database table,
while BSM keeps the default Infrastructure Settings "somewhere" (I assume in the corresponding xml files) and only keeps changes in the SETTING_PARAMETERS table.

Greetings
Siggi

P.S.: What did you do to your system? This is really, really strange!

Customer Support
Micro Focus

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.