Highlighted
Absent Member.. elmassimo Absent Member..
Absent Member..

See metrics in performance graph for non integrated by default SiteScope monitors

Jump to solution

Hi Experts,

I want to be able to see collected metrics in performance graph of BSM where data come from SiteScope and where the used monitor is by default not pushing data to BSM.

As an example : A log file monitor.

Thanks,

Elmassimo

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: See metrics in performance graph for non integrated by default SiteScope monitors

Jump to solution

>>>Does the HP operations agent RTM data source enabled option have any impact on the other option SiteScope Datasource Name ?

No. "HP operations agent RTM data source" setting relates to OM Agent RTM data source and has absolutely nothing to do with any of the SiteScope related settings.

>>>What does SiteScope RTM datasource enabled option mean. Does it mean that performance grapher will grab metric on demand like the new OMi 10 concept?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the "new OMi 10 concept". Anyway the "SiteScope RTM datasource" refers to another way of metric integration between OMi 10 and SiteScope, when SiteScope pushes metrics to the Performance Graphing (via a dedicated listener configured on OMi GW server) in real time, i.e. as soon as a corresponding SiteScope monitor runs and gets new data. This allows you to show real time graphs in the OMi Performance Perspective from SiteScope data. In the past such real time graphing was only available for data from OM Agent (having RTM enabled, of course).

0 Likes
6 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: See metrics in performance graph for non integrated by default SiteScope monitors

Jump to solution

If monitors don't send metrics to BSM to be stored in the profile DB, that means BSM Grapher aka PMi (I hope this is what you meant by "performance graph") has only one way to access the data - from CODA of the OM Agent installed on the SiteScope server. This will only work if you configured SiteScope to store monitor data on the agent (HP Operations Manager Metrics Integration section of the HP Operation Manager Integration configuration). 

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Thanks Dmitry. I must Admit that it is quite complex.

As I understand, I should assign a CI to report data to and should also enable sending metrics as well.

However, still the point that I did not understand well is the following:

What is the difference between enabling reporting monitor status and metrics in the BSM Integration Data and Topology Settings

and Report metrics to HP operations agent in HP Operations Manager Integration settings if what I m seraching is enabling performance graphs in BSM.

report-metrics.PNG

Thanks,

Elmassimo

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

The difference is very simple.

>>>enabling reporting monitor status and metrics in the BSM Integration Data and Topology Settings

Metrics will be sent to BSM where they will be stored in the profile DB configured for corresponding SiteScope profile in BSM SAM Admin. This is the recommended way to enable showing these metrics in BSM Grapher (aka PMi).

>>>Report metrics to HP operations agent in HP Operations Manager Integration settings

Metrics will be stored in the CODA of the OM Agent installed on (and configured to work with) the SiteScope server. This is a legacy way to enable showing these metrics in BSM Grapher (aka PMi). This approach is known to have capacity/performance issues, and should only be considered as a last resort in case storing SiteScope metrics in the BSM profile DB is somehow not an option.

You can enable both configurations at the same time in the monitor configuration page, but it wouldn't make much sense, as on the BSM server side Perfromance Grapher can only be configured to use one data source (either profile DB, or OM Agent), not both. The only use case where both settings could bring value if you also need to graph SiteScope metrics in the legacy Performance Manager in addition to BSM Grapher. As Performance Manager cannot access BSM profile DB.

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Thanks Dmitry for these valuable information.

As I checked the performance graphing setting in BSM's infrastructure Settings and found some information that seems ambigus for me.

Regarding the following options:

performance-graphing-om.PNGperformance-graphing-sis.PNG

• Does the HP operations agent RTM data source enabled option have any impact on the other option SiteScope Datasource Name ?
  • What does SiteScope RTM datasource enabled option mean. Does it mean that performance grapher will grab metric on demand like the new OMi 10 concept?

I hope you have some information to share on this subject.

Thanks,

Wassim

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

>>>Does the HP operations agent RTM data source enabled option have any impact on the other option SiteScope Datasource Name ?

No. "HP operations agent RTM data source" setting relates to OM Agent RTM data source and has absolutely nothing to do with any of the SiteScope related settings.

>>>What does SiteScope RTM datasource enabled option mean. Does it mean that performance grapher will grab metric on demand like the new OMi 10 concept?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the "new OMi 10 concept". Anyway the "SiteScope RTM datasource" refers to another way of metric integration between OMi 10 and SiteScope, when SiteScope pushes metrics to the Performance Graphing (via a dedicated listener configured on OMi GW server) in real time, i.e. as soon as a corresponding SiteScope monitor runs and gets new data. This allows you to show real time graphs in the OMi Performance Perspective from SiteScope data. In the past such real time graphing was only available for data from OM Agent (having RTM enabled, of course).

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Thanks Dmitry.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.