snps Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

SiteScope11.40 Installation Error

Hello,

I was trying to install SiteScope on 2008 R2 server machine and installation fail with below error.

Could you please advise on how to fix the error?

Installation Action failed:

There was a failure with this installation action for HPE SiteScope 11.40. Setting the install.architecture has returned a non-zero error code. HPE SiteScope will not be installed. To rollback this installation and remove all the installed packages, click Rollback. To cancel the installation and leave all the packages intact, click Quit.

Details:

Setting the install.architecture
Finalize action for com.hp.ov.installer.ovapp.core.ActionRunner@94c8f4
The system cannot find the path specified.
"INFO: (set_installer_architecture) Selected Installation Directory: C:\SiteScope\"
"INFO: (set_installer_architecture) Selected Installation Group: LoadRunner"
ERROR: Setting the install.architecture failed

0 Likes
4 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: SiteScope11.40 Installation Error

Hi snps,

it seems that this was an issue with SiteScope 11.30 and 11.33, strange that you see it with 11.4x now.

I found this information to resolve the issue:
- open the registry editor (RegEdt32)
  locate and delete this entry
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Hewlett-Packard\SiteScope

If you are running x64 OS:
    locate and delete this entry
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Hewlett-Packard

- delete the <SiteScope> folder (for example C:\SiteScope)
- reboot the system
- run the installer again

Greetings
Siggi

Customer Support
Micro Focus

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

Hello @Siggi Gladitsch

I tried as u suggested multiple times and it still shows me same error message during installation. 

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi snps,

in such cases I debug the installation flow down to the failing script to find out what exactly is failing.

Here is an example what I didn with a failing SiteScope 11.32 installation,
documented in
KM02415298 - SiteScope 11.32 - Unable to install 11.32 on top of 11.30

SiteScope 11.32 on Windows 2008

When installing SiteScope 11.32 on top of SiteScope 11.30 the installer fails

Product Requirements
  Install Checks
    SiteScope installation validation ...

with the message

SiteScope installation validation ...
  validate_sis_installation.bat
  ERROR: The SiteScope installation is either missing or corrupted

The logfile
 C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp\HPSiS1132_11.32_HPOvInstaller.txt
only shows
  2016-04-29 14:00:51,881 INFO - Executing initialize action : validate_sis_installation.bat
  2016-04-29 14:00:52,474 ERROR - [Failed]: ERROR: The SiteScope installation is either missing or corrupted

The installer for SiteScope 11.32 has been started via
  C:\software_and_scripts\SIS_00390\HPSiS1132_11.32_setup.exe

During the initial phase of the installation, the installer created a directory
 C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\HPSiS1132\
which contains a lot of files including
 validate_sis_installation.bat

Going through this files step by step it turns out that this step worked fine

%REG_TOOL% QUERY %PACKAGE_REG_KEY% /v %QUERY_VALUE% >nul 2>%ERR_FILE%

on the system under test this translates to

c:\windows\System32\reg.exe query HKLM\SOFTWARE\Hewlett-Packard\SiteScope\{6F5CD31E-DDAF-4ECA-976F-74A369058440} /V ProductVersion
 and returns
  ProductVersion   REG_SZ   11.30.461
 this is exactly what the script looks for.

However, there is a later step that fails:
('%~dp0\cmd64-bit.exe /c "%SystemRoot%\System32\cscript.exe //nologo readRegistryValue.vbs HKLM\SOFTWARE\Hewlett-Packard\SiteScope\{6F5CD31E-DDAF-4ECA-976F-74A369058440} ProductVersion" ')
on the system under test this translates to

C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\HPSiS1132>cmd64-bit.exe /c "%SystemRoot%\System32\cscript.exe //nologo readRegistryValue.vbs HKLM\SOFTWARE\Hewlett-Packard\SiteScope\{6F5CD31E-DDAF-4ECA-976F-74A369058440} ProductVersion"

which fails with

C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\HPSiS1132\readRegistryValue.vbs(13, 1) WshShell.RegRead:
Unable to open registry key "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Hewlett-Packard\SiteScope\{6F5CD31E-DDAF-4ECA-976F-74A369058440}" for reading.

Workaround / Fix
All attempts to find the reason for the error failed, thus one couldn't work around it.
Also updating the script validate_sis_installation.bat didn't help, because it would be either created from scratch and thus overwritten, or, not read again, so the original values would be used.

There is another way to work around the issue:

only use this workaround if you are 100% confident that SiteScope 11.30 has been installed properly.

The installer creates the file C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp\ovappl.xml which contains the flow the installer has to use.
In that file it's also determined whether or not a failure in the supporting script is fatal and thus causes the installation to fail, or not.

- start the installer again
   C:\software_and_scripts\SIS_00390\HPSiS1132_11.32_setup.exe

- let it continue until the file
   C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp\ovappl.xml
  is created

- modify the file ovappl.xml
  change
   <exec name="validate_sis_installation.bat" halt_on_err="true" command="$DEFAULT_SHELL$">
  to
    <exec name="validate_sis_installation.bat" halt_on_err="false" command="$DEFAULT_SHELL$">
  and let the installer continue

- the installer still executes validate_sis_installation.bat, but now the return code is not causing an error anymore,
  and the installer can continue, only showing this line in the installation logfile
    2016-04-29 14:09:36,370 INFO - Executing initialize action : validate_sis_installation.bat

This is only an example how I debugged this once, and on your system the issue might be different, but this at least could give you a start.

Greetings
Siggi

Customer Support
Micro Focus

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

Thank you for suggestion.

I have installed sucessfully sitescope. Machine which i was using was very old, so i have to requested for new server and installation works fine. 

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.