Our vBulletin migration is complete.
Welcome vBulletin users! All content and user information from the Micro Focus Forums (vBulletin) site has been migrated to this site. READ MORE.
ctech293 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Sitescope Alerts - How can I include the monitor description in the alert message?

Jump to solution

How do I include the monitor description in my email alert?

I've looked at the Alert Template and Event Properties help page, but the "Available Properties" don't include a monitor description field.

Thanks!

PS: The reason why I'm doing this is I'm trying to provide instructions to other teams on what to do if the monitor fails.  I plan on having 50-60 monitors and I was trying to only have a few alert templates.  By putting the instructions on what to do if the monitor fails in the monitor description, it would allow me to use only a few alert templates and simply put the monitor description as part of the alert template.

Unless there is a better way for this sort of thing?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Established Member.. kenneth.gonzale
Established Member..

Re: Sitescope Alerts - How can I include the monitor description in the alert message?

Jump to solution
Use <_monitorDescription> in the alert Template, not monitor's tags.
Kenneth Gonzalez
HP Support

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

If you haven’t tried it yet, come and join us in our entitled forums at Support Customer Forums
0 Likes
14 Replies
pablorxm Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Re: Sitescope Alerts - How can I include the monitor description in the alert message?

Jump to solution

ctech293,

Have you tried using the  _monitorDescription parameter as a tag?

Let me know how it goes,

Regards,

JV.

HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
Absent Member.. Mandarx Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Hi Ctech293,

Hope ur doing well,

U can also try by going to your monitor--> alerts--> general setting--> and add ur monitor details in alert description.

kindly find the attachments for screenshot

Hope this helps u,

f you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

0 Likes
ctech293 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

The tag idea sounds good, however, it looks like I don't have permission (based on the documentation for "Search/Filter Tags", my user account needs to be be granted "view tags" permission and probably Add, edit, or delete tags permissions too.).

Once I get that taken care of, how do I use the _monitorDescription parameter as a tag?

Do I create a new tag and put the word "_monitorDescription" in the value?  (Or maybe it is obvious when creating a new tag?)

Thank you!

--

Nathan

0 Likes
ctech293 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
@Mandarx - I don't want to manually type stuff in to the alert description because I think if I go that route, I can't reuse my alerts... I don't want a 1-to-1 ratio of monitors to alerts... I'd rather have my 50-60 monitors and only 5-10 alerts (and each alert will be applied to multiple monitors)
0 Likes
Established Member..

Jump to solution
Use <_monitorDescription> in the alert Template, not monitor's tags.
Kenneth Gonzalez
HP Support

If you haven’t tried it yet, come and join us in our entitled forums at Support Customer Forums
0 Likes
Absent Member.. Mandarx Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Hi Ctech293,

Kenneth solution is more valid that dont use Tag's, instead u can do this,

As per ur need u can create a "alert template" with the description as "alert on %%host%%_%%ip%%" and can apply the same to group of monitors.

Hope this helps u.

Regards,

Mandarx

0 Likes
ctech293 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
<_monitorDescription> works AWESOME!

Where can I find this in the documentation? I'm using 11.22 32-bit JVM, Build SS1122130718
0 Likes
Established Member..

Jump to solution

There is a list in alerts section <SiteScope root directory>\sisdocs\pdfs\UsingSiteScope.pdf

Kenneth Gonzalez
HP Support

0 Likes
GeekEGurl Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

We are doing the same sort of thing.    We put the URL of the knowledge base article in the monitor description and include the description in the email.  Works like a charm until I tried to put 3 different URLs,   I put each URL on a separate line but when I save the monitor the description ends up all one line.  The CR/LF seem to be ignored.  I've tried extra lines, \n\r, quotes - anyone have a silver bullet for this one?

0 Likes
Established Member..

Jump to solution
that's expected. Only workaround I can think is to fill the description box as HTML code (good thing is that it will show as real links when you hover in Dashboard) and then send the alerts as HTML content using this master.config key: _defaultMailAlertContentType=text/html
Kenneth Gonzalez
HP Support

0 Likes
ctech293 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Is there a way to enable HTML alerts for only one alert?  Or maybe only one recipient?

We've been using sitescope for awhile now and everyone is used to text alerts... we didn't want to change everyone to HTML in BIG BANG fashion but slowly migrate people.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Established Member..

Jump to solution

No, this is a global setting. But plain text templates will still look the same because you're not using the HTML tags in the template.

Kenneth Gonzalez
HP Support

0 Likes
Regular Contributor.. BerkerKavcı Regular Contributor..
Regular Contributor..

Jump to solution

Dear Kenneth,

I am using SiteScope 11.40 version and I could not find _defaultMailAlertContentType=text/html line in master.config file.

My mail templates contain html tags like <b> blabla </b> but SiteScope can not recognise these tags and shows it in recieved email content.

How can i solve this issue , could you inform me please?

Thanks

0 Likes
andres3626
New Member.

Jump to solution

Dear.
Did you manage to solve the problem of sending emails with html format to add Bold and change the color of the text?

No found _defaultMailAlertContentType=text/html

Thank you

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.