Our vBulletin migration is complete.
Welcome vBulletin users! All content and user information from the Micro Focus Forums (vBulletin) site has been migrated to this site. READ MORE.
Highlighted
ericmorris Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Sitescope: OMi integration and close key patterns

Jump to solution

HP SiteScope 11.32.431 64-bit JVM, Build 239

HP Operations Manager i 10.10.104 IP 1 (OMI_00136) Intermediate Patch

We have the two products integrated but I have a couple issues with the behavior of alerts sent to OMi. With the current out of the box setup/integration, Any alert is sent to the OMi console.  Then when the monitor goes green again, the alert is closed on OMi automatically.  I like this but I have the following issue.

1. It only sends one alert, it will not send duplicates.  Because of this if we accidentally acknowledge the alert in OMu, which is what we monitor primarily, no other alert will be send until the monitor is reset to a good state then enters a critical state again.

The default close key pattern is;

<<siteScopeHost>>:<<monitorUUID>>:<<metric>>:<<etiValue>>:<<severity>>

<<siteScopeHost>>:<<monitorUUID>>:<<metric>>

I can create my own alert and not use the default Send Events setting.

I can get duplictes if I uncheck the send close key pattern. - This does not allow the alert to be closed when it goes green.

I don't get duplicates if I check the send close key pattern, it closes the previous alert and just keeps the most recent.  And it still does not close the alert when it goes green.

Ultimately, I want duplicate alerts for each time the monitor is run and I want the alert to close when it's green.

I have experimented with many differnt methods to no avail.

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Super Contributor.

Re: Sitescope: OMi integration and close key patterns

Jump to solution

OK, I finally figured this out.  I had to create two different alerts instead of having one alert with two actioins.

So for anybody else interested in this:

Console alert for Error:

Key: <<siteScopeHost>>:<<targetHost>>:<<monitorName>>

Submit close key condition: UNCHECKED

Console alert for Good:

Submit close key condition: CHECKED

Close Key Pattern:  <<siteScopeHost>>:<<targetHost>>:<<monitorName>>:CRITICAL

This gives me the duplicates as well as clears the alert when it's green again.

0 Likes
6 Replies
Honored Contributor.. dasomm Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Jump to solution

If you want an event each time the monitor is run, you can define an alert and have that send events instead of the monitor. 
Check the properties for events based on alerts, there are several alternatives to choose from.

0 Likes
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

That's what I'm doing but can't get the right combination of settings to Have duplicates show in OMi and Close the event on good threshold from SiteScope.  I can only seem to get one or the other but not both.

Respected Contributor.. NileshX Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

Jump to solution

Set attached setting to work close key properly.

set key is 

<<siteScopeHost>>:<<targetHost>>:<<monitorName>>:<<severity>>

and close Key like

<<siteScopeHost>>:<<targetHost>>:<<monitorName>>

Regards,

Nilesh Gade

0 Likes
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

I have a custom alert setup with two rules, one for critical and one to send a good alert when the monitor goes back to green.

Here is what is happening.  WIth the send close key checked:

Critical alerts are sent to the OBM console.  Each subsequent alert sent closes the previous alert showing no duplicate count.

When the monitor goes back to green, the alert iin the OBM console changes from Red to Green.

With the close key not checked:

Critical alerts are sent and each subsequent alert is sent as a duplicate.

When the monitor goes green, both events are in the OBM console, one red (with duplicates) and one green.

This poses a problem for us as I filter out all green alerts from the OBM console and they get auto closed on the OBM side.  This leaves a red alert that appears to still be a problem when it's really resolved.

I guess what I'm looking for is a hybrid of the two described above.  I want all events to be sent with duplicate count when when it's green again, the event in OBM is flipped to green and auto closed.

0 Likes
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

Nilesh ,

I've tried this, but it's still closing the previous event and not showing a duplicate count in OBM which is not what I want.  We need to see the duplicate count.

0 Likes
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

OK, I finally figured this out.  I had to create two different alerts instead of having one alert with two actioins.

So for anybody else interested in this:

Console alert for Error:

Key: <<siteScopeHost>>:<<targetHost>>:<<monitorName>>

Submit close key condition: UNCHECKED

Console alert for Good:

Submit close key condition: CHECKED

Close Key Pattern:  <<siteScopeHost>>:<<targetHost>>:<<monitorName>>:CRITICAL

This gives me the duplicates as well as clears the alert when it's green again.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.