Our vBulletin migration is complete.
Welcome vBulletin users! All content and user information from the Micro Focus Forums (vBulletin) site has been migrated to this site. READ MORE.
Artem Trofimov Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Upgrade to v11 - anyone else doing this?

Jump to solution
just short addition: since both primary and failover SiteScopes are using the same files, there is no need to mirror configuration. But SiteScope files should be placed on really reliable (fail-safe) network storage (cluster, RAID, etc).
there is also possibility to monitor several primary SiteScopes with the same SFM, but only 1 of them can be backed up in case of both primary SiteScopes are down at the same moment - just add into monitoredsiteScope.properties file new line for the second primary sitescope.
---
Another month ends. All targets met. All systems working. All customers satisfied. All staff eagerly enthusiastic. All pigs fed and ready to fly.
Absent Member.. Edward Fultz Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution
I don't get it - why would HP ever make the HA and primary SiteScopes use the same shared storage? One of the great things about SS is it is self-contained - so if any problems arise with one the other takes over. Now, by using shared storage, the network is involved along with external storage - making more potential failure points.

I have been running my primary SS installed locally. What if I just make the folder shared? Can't I just point the HA to that folder? From your steps it appears I just need to point the HA to the folder on the primary server. But this means if something happens with the primary server HA won't work, either. It also means even if I move the storage to an external storage location if anything happens with the storage HA no longer works, either.

This just makes no sense to me - making primary and HA have the exact same fail points. I must be missing something.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hello again,

You can't just share the local folder, since it makes no sense - if the primary machine is taken out of service, failover won't start either.
The main point of the new HA is that network storage should be fail-safe. So even if primary machine is broken, of part of the network with primary machine is unavailable - SiteScope will run and monitor the environment.
Please, take it into consideration.
And one more thing - both primary and failover should refer to the same path like \\computer\folder\ (not as you suggest: primary refers localy to C:\siteScope and failover refers to \\computer\folder\) - in this case all paths to scripts will remain true when failover is running.
Best regards, Artem Trofimov

(it would be nice from your side to assign some points to answers, which you consider as useful to you ;))
---
Another month ends. All targets met. All systems working. All customers satisfied. All staff eagerly enthusiastic. All pigs fed and ready to fly.
0 Likes
support.idhasof Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
There is a known SiteScope 11 licensing issue with the pd.txt file, that can be fixed by requesting the corrected hotfix file from HP Support.

We've encountered this for our ASMP-S support customers and resolved it by:

1. Stop SiteScope service
2. Open C:\SiteScope\conf\license folder on server
3. Remove pd.txt file
4. Copy hotfix pd.txt file to C:\SiteScope\conf\license folder
5. Start SiteScope service
6. Validate in Help -> About, as well as in the licensing section of the General Preferences
0 Likes
Sifte
New Member.

Jump to solution
i am new in upgrading sitescipe 10.10 to 11.x, Could you give me teh same steps, on which I can deploy monitors from 10.10 to the 11.x version . I likethe way you explain the failover to Edward.

Hope you will help me also. " how to upgarde the 10.10 to 11.x and move the monitors and config file at teh new version.

Thanks,

Sifte
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Dear Sifte,

Could you please specify what exactly you are interested in?
The general upgrade procedure is very simple, but there could be some specific steps in each exact case 🙂
So the general case is:
1. Export SiteScope configuration using config tool from SiteScope\bin\ directory
2. Backup all specific (non-defaul, custom) drivers installed to current SiteScope by SiteScope administrator (I mean here DB drivers, SAP client, Siebel client, etc.)
3. Actually it won't be bad idea to backup whole SiteScope product directory anywhere you want
4. install to another server new SiteScope version using the same path as on source system (e.g. old SiteScope was installed to d:\IT_Service\SiteScope\ folder, so use the same path as new SiteScope product directory) - SiteScope 11.x will promt you on post-install step if you want to import your previous configuration > select import option and select exported SiteScope configuration.
5. copy all backuped specific drivers to the appropriate folders (to the same folders where they were located on source environment) and start SiteScope
6. verify SiteScope starts and run without any issues - check error.log and upgrade.log for errors, if there are any messages about missing files (SiteScope can't find some specific application clients, drivers, etc. that SiteScope administrator forgot to restore) just take them from source system.
7. If old SiteScope had integration to BSM (BAC) - it won't work now, since SiteScope is installed on a different machine than is set in integration preferences, so any errors in bac_integration.log are not unexpected 🙂

So at this step you have old SiteScope working on source server and the new one on another machine - let both system be running for sometimes to make sure the new system is working ok. So if no considerable issues appear on this stage - it's not risky to upgrade the production server 😉 -
8. return to production server and stop source (old) SiteScope
9. backup log folder (in order to have continuous reports, if it's not necessary - skip this step)
10. uninstall SiteScope on production server
11. repeat steps 4-5 on production server
12. before you start new upgraded SiteScope - copy backuped log folder (if you skipped step 9 - skip this step too 🙂
13. If you had EMS (technology) monitors on source SiteScope - it's good time to tell me about them, you might need to restore some additional files from backup now.
14. start SiteScope and enjoy 😉
15. if you had integration to BSM - it should still work.
--
Best regards, Artem Trofimov
---
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.