Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Outstanding Contributor.. yangnigon Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

VuGen/LoadRunner and BPM on the same machine

Jump to solution

Hello community,

I wanted to check and get your opinions on the following:

I believe I saw somewhere in the manual that it's ok to install both VuGen and BPM on the same server (machine). However, I would like to know what's the best practical way.

What's the best practice when it comes to VuGen and BPM installation? Is it better to install VuGen and BPM separately? or It really don't matter to have both on the same machine.

If it is better to have VuGen and BPM installed separately, can you explain the reason why this is better?

Thanks,

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Rufeng Xu-Fried Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Re: VuGen/LoadRunner and BPM on the same machine

Jump to solution

Sometimes, we have scripts which uses local files, D:\Appl, for example. Sometimes, our scripts calls jar files.  In these cases, the path is important.  It may exist on one server, but does not exist on another server.

For example, in one case, our jre on the server is d:\program files\java\, but on another server, it may be c:\program files\java.  The program will fail.  Of course, if you know it, it is easy to fix. But sometimes, if you are puzzled why it does not work, the same environment helps.  Sometimes, the path variable may be set up in one machine, but not another. 

Another example we have is that we use proxy from our laptop to access external site, while our BMP servers are in DMZ which does not support proxy.  So it is helpful to be able to check out if our settings are set properly.

Basically, having a Vugen in the same machine as BPM helps detect some environmental differences.

Thanks.

Rufeng
0 Likes
4 Replies
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

I have some opinion and expirence about this.  I am happy to share.

Yes, you can install BPM and Vugen on the same machine.  But you have to install BPM first, then Vugen.  When you need to update BPM, you need uninstall Vugen/BPM, then install BPM first, Vugen later.  This is a bit annoying.

I personally like to install Vugen on the same machine as well as another machine.  The advange to be on a seperate machine is that it has minimal impact on BPM of course.  But there is a advantage on the same machine if there is a network difference or if you reference some local files.  If you run java, the JRE path or JDK path may be difference. 

So usually I develop scripts on my laptop and deploy them to BPM.  Most times, it works. But it runs on my laptop, but fails on the BPM, the next step I do is to run the script in Vugen on the same machine as BPM.

Rufeng
Outstanding Contributor.. yangnigon Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Jump to solution

Rufeng, thanks for your inputs.

I do need to get some clarification on the last part of your statement. You mentioned that "So usually I develop scripts on my laptop and deploy them to BPM.  Most times, it works. But it runs on my laptop, but fails on the BPM, the next step I do is to run the script in Vugen on the same machine as BPM."

Were you trying to say if it runs on your latop but fails on the BPM then you re-develop the script in VuGen on the same machine as BPM and re-deploy to BPM?

Please let me know when you can.

Thanks,

0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

Sometimes, we have scripts which uses local files, D:\Appl, for example. Sometimes, our scripts calls jar files.  In these cases, the path is important.  It may exist on one server, but does not exist on another server.

For example, in one case, our jre on the server is d:\program files\java\, but on another server, it may be c:\program files\java.  The program will fail.  Of course, if you know it, it is easy to fix. But sometimes, if you are puzzled why it does not work, the same environment helps.  Sometimes, the path variable may be set up in one machine, but not another. 

Another example we have is that we use proxy from our laptop to access external site, while our BMP servers are in DMZ which does not support proxy.  So it is helpful to be able to check out if our settings are set properly.

Basically, having a Vugen in the same machine as BPM helps detect some environmental differences.

Thanks.

Rufeng
0 Likes
Regular Contributor.. Miro1 Regular Contributor..
Regular Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hi Rufeng,

I know that BPM and VuGen and be on the same machine, even is recommended.

My question here is can BPM(along with VuGen embedded) and LoadRunner be on the same machine?

Regards,
Miro

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.